Annoying display button on GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PavelF, May 3, 2016.

1. PavelF

PavelF New to Mu-43

May 3, 2016
    Hi guys,

I recently acquired GX8. I've been on holiday last week and noticed one, but very annoying "feature" of GX8. I'm constantly hitting display button with my palm so it is bringing a lot of disturbing information to the viewfinder. Even worse - you need to scroll all the displays to get clear view again.

I had the same thing on my A7s, however on SONY, there is an option to disable additional screens and choose what to show.

I like GX8 a lot and Panasonic is trying to bring it to the professional world, but this is not very suitable for professional work with those kinds of ergonomic issues.

PS. I also have GM5, which also has display button, but it sits deeper and in a different position, so I'm not hitting it so frequently.

I'm sure it is easily fixable by the firmware update, but camera released a year ago and still nothing is being fixed... I believe I just need to wait for Olympus M1 mark2.

Does anyone found the way how to work around it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shir

shir New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2016
    Kazan, Russia
    Got my GX8 for couple weeks but display button is annoying fir me too. And looking for solution too. It will be enough for me to just disable this button - in any case I always use only one screen.
  3. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    I don't hit it as much as I used to.. but yeah kind of annoying ..display button and wb. As well

I find that I do it more if I've been using my canon cameras more ..I was hoping it could be disabled
  4. JonVdG

JonVdG Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    I use the GX8 professionally and I've never had the problem you describe, but I suppose everyone's hands are a little different. In my experience, this camera is definitely suitable for pro use and abuse, and more so than most DSLRs. Reminiscent of my experience with M bodies. I hope you find something that works for your hands.
  5. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    I have the same problem. You'd think there is enough room on a body this size to avoid this kind of ergonomic issues. At least an option to disable the button would be appreciated, but no...
  6. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Pavel are you using back button focus. Maybe for those of us with lots of time with the GX8 and who are using BBF it positions our hands in such a way to
    negate what you are experiencing ??? Just a thought.
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    The fact you can't disable some of the screens is probably my biggest complaint on panasonic bodies. I want one display screen and the recording information screen.
  8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I had the same issue with the G5 and G6, a little less so with the GX7 but it still happened occasionally. It seems like its just a bad placement for a lot of people.