Announcing new contest/challenge: Image Quest

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, May 29, 2015.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    In a recent discussion about ways we as photographers can push ourselves creatively, I brainstormed the idea of a periodic shooting challenge organized around a theme. I was challenged to implement this idea hence this post. What I envision creating is an ongoing challenge somewhat similar to the the long running Post Processing Challenges. In doing some poking around on the forum it appears that something similar to my vision was done in the early days of the site (circa 2010) under the title Image Quest. In looking at some of those threads, it seems that very few of the folks who participated back then are still active on the site (@Luckypenguin@Luckypenguin & @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet are the exceptions). I'd like to re-boot this endeavor and have chosen to appropriate that name as a hat tip to the past effort.

1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can be specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the timeframe of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme).
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the next theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.
    Since this is something new, these rules may evolve over time, but I think this is a good place to start.

The initial challenge has been posted. Anyone who is interested in participating is more than welcome to join in.
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 15
  2. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Nice write-up and research. Thanks for putting this together. I think it's going to be a fun one...
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I agree. This is going to be fun to see what everyone comes up with.
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Good work! I remember these challenges running when I first joined the site. I think I participated in a couple. :)