Announcement vs release vs available

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThomD, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    My impression is that the gap between announcing a new camera and actually being able to get one is measured in months for Panasonic. Example: G6 announced late April with a release date around late June. Late August before the channels filled up.

If Oly announces the EM1 in mid-September, how long do you think it will be before one can actually buy it in the US?

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Olympus are better.

I look at it like this.
    Announcement.
    Release - when Robin Wong does his full review.
    Availability - In Thailand it is 10-14 days after Robin Wong's review. Europe/US usually begins availability 10 -14 days after that.

So for the EPL-5 Robin Wong's review was 1 month after announcement. With the E-P5 it was longer at 6 weeks.

3. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I just complained about this (with camera companies) tonight LOL. Why can't they be like Apple, where after the announcement/presentation, it's almost immediately available? This is one thing with camera companies that I have yet to understand. Or, just wait until the stocks are ready to ship, then announce it.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Actually they are almost like Apple here in Japan. When they say it's available by this date. It is indeed available.

Although Panasonic seems to be struggling with production as even the 7-14mm and 12-35mm f/2.8 are not always on stock in most retailers.