Announcement: Changes to Forum 'New Posts'

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In response to member feedback, I've made two changes to the way the forum works:

1) Change in thread marking type from inactivity/cookie based (threads would be marked as read once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (15 minutes) to database with automatic forum marking (threads marked as read once you have read them). The old system would remove threads from "New Posts" after 15 minutes of inactivity, whereas the new system removes them from New Posts when you have read them and otherwise will list the last 10 days of unread posts.

Since I just made this change, all threads and posts have been marked in the database as new/unread. If you want a fresh start, choose "Mark Forums Read" from the "Quick Links" dropdown in the Navbar.

2) Change in settings to "Update Thread Views Immediately". Previously all viewed threads would be counted as viewed once per hour. Now they are counted as viewed immediately upon viewing.

Please note that both of the above changes will place a larger load on our server. Server costs are already high, so if these changes result in slower forum performance, I may have to revert them.

From a user standpoint, some will like the new way, and some will like the old. I'm counting on more people liking the new way once everyone gets used to it. Please allow some time to get used to the new changes before asking me to revert them :wink:.

• Like Like x 3
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Hah, thank that guy on FujiXSpot

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ha ha - you're right, although I've occasionally gotten complaints about the threads taking too long to be marked as viewed, so it's not just him :biggrin:.

4. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Should be good! One thing I noticed is that while the threads disappear from the Last 3 Days section in the iOS app, they also disappear from the Last Visit tab. It would be helpful if they were all viewable in that tab still. A good example is I read this thread, refreshed and then couldn't find it again so I had to search the forums for it to reply. If it was still in the Last Visit section I could have quickly replied.

Thanks!

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was afraid that was gonna happen!

6. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    ;) it happened.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You mean this thread and other recent, read threads don't stay in the Last 3 Days section?

8. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Hmmm I thought they were disappearing from the Last 3 Days but they are there after I checked again. In the Last Viewed though it only shows unread threads. The read ones disappear.

9. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Thank you. I've been continually annoyed when I get pulled away from forum-ing and I miss posts because the go to first unread links are wrong.

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    love the new way, thanks Amin

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sounds like it's working properly then...

12. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Ok just making sure! Thanks.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The new changes are causing a fair number of memory errors, which means we need to upgrade the server again or revert. Some users are saying they preferred the old way. Would appreciate some member feedback about whether the new changes are an improvement or not.

14. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Amin, I'll vote for the old way. It never seemed to be a problem for me. And I'm sure it'll be less costly for you:biggrin: Maybe you should post a Poll?

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for weighing in, Bob. In the long run it'll cost more the new way, but I don't mind paying for better user experience.

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I personally liked the old way better. There is something more confusing about this way. I can't put my finger on it.

17. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I didn't used to notice how inconvenient the old way was until you implemented the new way - I guess I just learned to live with it, and go search down the "Today's Posts" list to see if there was anything that looked interesting that I'd missed whilst "inactive" (I quite often leave my computer on and logged into my forums, even overnight - this can mean 5 pages of new stuff).

Now, each time I leave my computer for a time and click on New Posts, they are all conveniently there.

So, I vote for the new way, but if it too expensive, I can revert to my previous workround.

18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I like the new way much better as if I was idle for a while I lost the ability to determine the posts I have actually scanned under the old system.

I would rather throw a few more bucks into the hat than go back.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The key question is this: If cost were no issue, do you prefer the old way or the new?

Let me worry about the cost, which shouldn't be a huge difference - hopefully just a RAM upgrade.

20. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    New way, definitely, then :2thumbs: