Announced Panasonic Leica 100-400mm on an O-MD E-M1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by azjsb, Jan 5, 2016.

1. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Regarding the new 100-400mm Panasonic Leica lens, just announced - has anyone any experience with IS with a Pany zoom lens (say, for example, the 100-300mm) on an OM-D E-M1 or M5II body? Just wondering about how many stops would be reasonable to expect using that combo and how much "penalty" one pays by not pairing it with a Lumix body.
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Haven't used any of my longer Panasonic zooms on a dual IS Panny body (I have an EM-1), so no input there. Another performance aspect is AF speed, and I've found the Panasonic Depth from Defocus to give give very quick AF from a not so fast lens (LX100). I would expect the lens to focus faster on a GX8 or GH4 than an E-M1.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You would be able to choose which OIS method to use, but you have to pick one or the other. If history is any guide, Olympus IBIS beats OIS, but a lens this long is new territory.
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Im my experience, the OIS of the 100-300/4-5.6 was no better than the IBIS of the EM5, possibly slightly worse, though both were good for about 3 stops (the EM5 being even better with shorter lenses, more like 4 stops). The IBIS in the EM1 and EM5II is a little better yet. I would expect the OIS of this new lens to be a little better than that of the 100-300 considering the price tag and the fact that it is a new design.

Saying all that, while IS on teles is certainly important, I've never found the practical purpose to need 4 or 5 stops on a tele lens. At that point, you're well below the range you want to be in to stop motion, and if I'm using a 400/800mm equiv lens, I'm probably pointing it at a small creature that isn't very interested in holding still for my IS. 3 stops is 1/100th which is as slow as I would go for anything moving at even a slow pace. 5 stops is 1/25th. The 6 stops Olympus is advertising with their dual IS and the 300/4 would mean IS effective to 1/10th, again I'm confused as to what sort of subject I could shoot at that FL and shutter speed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    When I shoot the 100-300 on my E-M1, I turn off OIS and have the E-M1 set to ignore lens IS. That may change in the future depending on selecting the 100-400 or the 300 Pro. I image Olympus will need to put out a firmware update to enable dual IS between the 300 Pro and an EM body. Likey you have to choose either body IS or lens IS if you mix either long lens with a body from the other vendor. Optimism IS likely only happens within the same brand.
  6. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    It would be peachy if oly added dual is support for pany lenses. Wish in one hand ...

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
  7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Only you young whippersnappers can afford to turn off IS!
  8. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    This pretty much mirrors my experience. I shoot the P100-300 on my E-M5II using the lens OIS, but see no difference using the IBIS. I do think the IBIS has an advantage with the shorter focal lengths, however.

Best of the best would be if the Panny OIS would blend with the 5 axis IBIS of my 5 II, but this may be too much to hope for..
  9. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Firmware 4.0 for the E-M1 and 2.0 for the E-M5II addresses this.

Anything older than the E-M10 (inclusive) won't get Dual IS functionality.
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
  11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Architectural detail, landscape, eagle on a roost at dawn, a sleeping bear, tiger poised to pounce...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I have not seen many (very very few) reviews of the PL 100-400mm lens but probably a dozen or more on the Oly 3000mm f/4 - why do you suppose? One would think that if this is an outstanding entry into the MFT line-up that Panasonic would have sent out samples to many reputable reviewers for their comments and to boost pre-orders. I don't get it....
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think Panasonic probably started development of their lens after Olympus, but pre-announced it aggressively in order to keep peoples' credit cards in their pockets when the Olympus became available.

And from what I can see, it seems to be working. The announced price point at $700 less, plus the flexibility of the zoom and greater reach seems to have a lot of people in "wait and see mode." That buys Panasonic time to ramp up production, whereas Olympus is probably already ready to go, and have been churning for a while now, hence their ability to distribute final lenses to a lot of reviewers.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I could have used 6 stops quite happily the other day. I wanted to shoot a lighthouse on a (far way) cliff in failing light. As far as I can tell, light houses don't move, so no stop motion required :) Also, I didn't have a tripod with me. This is just one example, I could come up with several. I ended up using higher ISO than I wanted and in the end I binned the shot since it was too noisy with blotches and I was never going to use it. 6 Stops would have made all the difference.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have been using the Lumix 100-300 OIS with my M5II.

This photo, with IBIS on and OIS off, is at 1/80 sec and 300mm, which is 3 stops better than the 'Handheld Rule':

100% detail:

The next two 'demonstration shots' are 300mm at 1/8 sec, which is 6.3 stops better than the Rule:

IBIS on, OIS off

IBIS off, OIS on

In general, I consider IBIS to be good enough for this lens and my usual setting is IBIS on, OIS off.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Agreed. When we shoot our 100-300 lenses we do IBIS on (same as for native Oly lenses) and OIS off.