1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Animalscapes

Discussion in 'Nature' started by oldracer, Aug 14, 2016.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    One of my many shortcomings as a photographer is that, when shooting animals, I tend to shoot portraits. Usually fairly tight shots without much context. So, on a trip to Tanzania and Kenya last month I decided to play a bit with "animalscapes" -- shots where the animal is an element of a landscape. IMHO the results are mixed, but I thought I'd post a few and see what comments I get. Which do you like if any? Hate if any? Suggestions? P1100096-lores.
    P1090963-Edit-lores.
    P1100120-lores.
    This one is actually flipped left/right. I tend to look at these like I read, from left to right and leaving the lion over at the right bothered me enough to make me do the flip.
    P1100126-lores.
    This last one is really not in the same category as the others IMO, but I thought I'd included it anyway. These are a few of the two million wildebeest migrating north from Tanzania into Kenya, following the rains. The views were amazing. Almost everywhere we looked there were these lines of moving animals -- on the horizon they looked like marching ants.
    P1100063-Edit-lores.

• Like Like x 7
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I especially like #2 & 5.

The lion and giraffe seem too small, but I do like the framing with the giraffe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    #1 & 2 for me. (clone out the sensor spot)

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sensor spot?

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, there's 1-2 round circles in the clouds towards the left in several pics. Probably dust or water spots on the sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Love 2 and 5! :2thumbs:

The others are good but those two stand out...

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I had hoped for more, but appreciate the ones who took the time.

Re the photos, #2 with the large elephant is my favorite too. I like #5 but from more of a journalistic viewpoint than as a landscape.

I think I have learned:
    • The animal needs to be fairly large, not just part of the landscape background. I really wanted to like the giraffe shot because the light on the giraffe is so nice but it is just too small. This means, shooting with a wide angle lens, I'm going to have to be just about on top of animals if I want shots like this.
    • The animal needs to "participate" by looking at the shooter or in some other way. Just hanging around, like the first elephant one is not enough.
    • I printed #2 at 30" wide a couple of days ago. It is OK at a normal viewing distance but looked at critically it is a little soft. I think I either need to get a 14mm prime (this was shot with my 14-140mm Mk II) or to shoot these as stitched panos. The in-camera pano is very convenient but #2 would have been much better if stitched from several frames.

8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm partial to #1,2 & 5. I think there could be a little PP done in the sky in 1&2, though. Something to bring our a little more detail. #5 could possibly use a different crop. reducing the sky might make the scene seem more vast.

9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have to agree with the others, #2 and #5 are really good. You are correct, the smaller animals just don't do a lot for the photograph. I have the same problem and keep saying I am going to work on getting more environmental shots. To help with this I have started bring my EM5 with my 17mm attached, but have yet to use for anything but shots of my gear in action.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. Agreed. Though I am not too keen on #1.

After post #7 I decided to try to crop the giraffe shot to make the giraffe bigger. It worked to an extent, but the giraffe is just trudging along with his head turned slightly toward the camera-- not really participating if you understand what I mean. If he was stopped, looking into the landscape I think it would be better. Where I print a landscape I print if fairly big, so cropping is really not a good alternative to getting the composition right SOOC, but doing the corp was still educational.

Re cropping #5 I had to laugh. I was just trimming some white space off the top of a 30" print with a new-to-me Craigslist mat cutter and the blade carrier scratched the print. So I have now cropped the scratch off and, looking at the result, came to exactly the same conclusion you did. It looks just fine with less sky! :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016