1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Animal Pictures Indoors

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Laserguy, Apr 13, 2010.

1. While rummaging through a directory of pictures from a couple of months ago, I found a picture of one of my cats that I wanted to like, but didn't. The shot was nicely in focus, and he had an amusingly intent facial expression, but I hated the colors. The white balance was off, making everything too yellowish and drab, and the background was "meh" at best. Nothing I did in software was making anything any better. On a whim, I switched it to monochrome in the RAW converter, and it immediately became a much better shot. A bit of fussing with the levels and I had both my and my wife's favorite ever picture of our cat. Buoyed by my success, I found a picture of my beagle that had similar issues with drab color, and made another satisfying image. Black and white portraits (of people and animals) can look great; who knew? (Note to self: See about reinventing that "wheel" you've heard so much about.)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i completely agree... sometimes the color info is just so much nonsense, and a photo stripped of it becomes a much greater thing, tone makes the point first....... light and dark .......without distraction... ive saved many a photo this way
    yet,
    color is beautiful , i mostly shoot color .... and you are completely correct

cheers

3. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I love color but I prefer B&W... Shades of gray are the only way to see the beauty and simplicity of life... My mutt... 1/2 boxer 1/2 pit full baby.....

4477972292_102ab1dfeb_b.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Great photos you two and I agree both as an animal lover and as someone who never was very into black and white, as a means of my own expression.

Laserguy, if you only knew - I have posted way too many animal shots in my Photo A Day blog...and I seem to have them in my galleries, too. Here are a few. Meanwhile, Boris - you've been keeping your beautiful dog from me! Both you and Laserguy have just gotten Gold Stars in my book.:biggrin:
    P2280594_1_of_1_1. P3060742_1_of_1_.

5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    BB, Lol... when my ex and I split my pup had to move in with my mom... I see her at least 3x a week... I miss her so much, but my parents can provide a better life for her... Hence not many pictures... Now my dad loves her more than my sisters 2 pups.. My sister and parents share a 2 family house... So the 3 of them play all day every day...

Her & Her pitbull/lab cousin
    433180742_702cae7f9e_b.

her rotty cousin
    433180450_efcc2fd2c8_b.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Black and White

I always try a black and white conversion before I completely dismiss a shot I might otherwise delete. Sometimes it just redeems it sufficiently to become a keeper. It can also be a double edged sword because it can then become difficult to decide what works best for a particular image!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.