Angenieux zoom

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bruinista, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    I recently acquired an old Angenieux 17-68mm f2.2 c-mount zoom, probably from the 50-60s.
    Love the look and feel of these old lenses. It's a nice clean copy. Focus and aperture ring work perfectly.

But the zoom ring doesn't turn. It's missing the zoom lever that I've seen on other copies.
    So basically, I have two questions I'm hoping someone could help me with.

1) Is the lever necessary for the operation of the zoom ring and is that why mine is stuck.
    2) if not, can anyone recommend a place for repair.
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You mean the screw looking thing that sticks out of the zoom ring? You still be able to turn the zoom ring without it. It only lets you zoom very quickly. Many video lenses have the same thing.
  3. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    thanks. That's what I thought.

Brought the lens in to the local camera repair shop. Hopefully they can figure out a way to free that zoom ring.
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Most likely the grease has dried out. I probably just needs a CLA.
  5. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Yeah I have heard they used to use whale oil in cams and lenses from that time but I'm not 100% on that but I do know that whale oil hardens like brick when dried
  6. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Do you have any pics from it? I loooove the idea of having something that aperture and length.
  7. edz

edz New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011
    The zoom lever is just meant to make it easier to change the zoom smoothly.
  8. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Quick update.

Just got lens back after having it serviced. Everything now smooth and fully operational. Have not had chance to shoot much with it but from some initial shots, seems to vignette pretty prominently at all focal lengths from 17 to 68mm even when shooting in 6x6 square format. I'll post some shots after I get a chance to play with it some more.