1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Andromeda galaxy single shot vs stacked using Regim - epm2 25mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Dec 23, 2014.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    So it finally stopped raining in northern California and I was eager to take a few shots of the Andromeda galaxy with my epm2 and 25mm 1.8. I obviously did not do a good job centering the galaxy in the middle of the screen...but it was hard to do without a tilting screen.

I wanted to compare the noise level of a single exposure vs multiple exposures of the same length stacked using Regim. The single exposure (unguided) is 10 seconds at ISO 1,600 and the stacked picture consists of 11 10-sec light frames and 9 dark frames stacked using Regim software for mac. This was the first time I used the program, so I wasn't sure how well it would work.

First of all, I am amazed at how much light the 25mm 1.8 lens gathers...But the main reason for this post is to compare the the noise level of a single shot vs stacked images and see if micro four thirds presents a good option for astrophotography when used with powerful softwares such as Regim. I did notice that the program doesn't work if the noise reduction setting is on, something very interesting. Also, even though it did processed the images in RAW it did not manage to produce me a final image, but it did after I changed them from RAW toTiff format.

The images have not been post-processed.

Feel free to comment as I am curious to hear about other's experience with using Regim for astrophotography.

Andromeda_single_shot. Andromeda_SigmaCombinedFiles.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... where are the photo's ? ......

3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi Sammyboy, you cannot see the pictures? Let me know and I will try to upload them again. I can see them in the post though...

Cheers!

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I click on the attachments, but I receive this message istead:

Not Found

The requested URL /gallery/data/500/Andromeda_single_shot.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Let's try this again...here we go. Let me know if this works.

Andromeda_single_shot. Andromeda_SigmaCombinedFiles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm automatic JPEG compression during upload kind of ate both images... difficult to make out anything through the compression artefacts. The stacked one appears to have less pronounced red/green colour blotchiness in the black regions.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Is Andromeda that slightly fuzzy thing with the hint of a disk on the lower right? It's amazing you can even get that with a normal lens.

8. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi drd1135 - yes, that's the andromeda Galaxy at the lower right corner taken with the 25mm 1.8 prime lens...pretty amazing for a small camera/lens system.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app