Android Tablet for photo editing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkbslc, Mar 20, 2017.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I used to have an ipad 4 (last one before the Air), but sadly my kids destroyed it a while back. I really liked traveling and editing photos from it. The screen was a nice size and good resolution/quality and apps like Snapseed and VSCO are some of my favorite editing programs to use. I wanted to pick up another tablet, but I don't really want an iPad again. I'm using Android 7 for my phone, and would like to stick with Android. And my kids really like iPads more than Android, so it's a little damage insurance there :). I would like 9-11" screen with high res and good color.

Sadly, It seems like slim pickings for Android tablets these days. A lot of the Samsungs say they come with Android 5, meaning they are at least 2-3 years old, right? It seems like there are a lot of $100 tablets, but nothing that really competes with an iPad. A trip to Best buy didn't find much for me.

Any ideas or suggestions? Ideally it would be a little cheaper than an iPad Air but that's not a requirement.

2. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

looks cool. Thanks for the the suggestion.

I have 2 $50 Amazon tablets and a $200 Chromebook for the kids to use, but they always sneak my nice stuff when I'm at work, anyway!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    The Pixel C comes with Android 7. I generally prefer the clean Android interface, and this coming from Google will have that.

Google Store – Nexus, Chromecast e mais

I personally still have an older NVidia Shield K1 - it is a bit old and only 8'' - but it also has Android 7 (after over the air update).

• Like Like x 2
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Any reason you aren't looking at a windows tablet?

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Don't like the software. Or rather, most windows photo software isn't very tablet friendly.

8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Faststone Image Viewer works rather well on mine. It's what I use at home so translation is easy. As does Excel and Word which I need for work.

But OS is a very personal thing....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lescrane

Lescrane Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    Using Samsung galaxy s2 which apparently has been replaced by S3.
    PhotoMate 3 app.
    Dongle to load up sd cards.

Still not as good as laptop or pc but good for traveling

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    +1 for the Galaxy Tab S2. Best solution I've found as I hate to travel heavy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Have you thought about trying to pick up a second hand iPad? IPad 4 or first generation air is good enough for photo editing, it's what I use when in a hurry! I know you mentioned you wanted android, but you might getter bang for buck with a pre-loved apple. Nothing against Android - I have an android phone, the oneplus 3T, and if oneplus made a tablet I'd be on it like a shot.

I Iove the tactile editing on a tablet,and if I could get an app that did frequency separation retouching I'd cancel my CC subscription...

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I just recently picked up an Asus zenpad 3S 10". It's got 4 GB of ram and runs android 6. Can find them under $300. I haven't tried photo editing, but it's speedy and nice display. I'm sure snapseed would run great on it as it runs well on my 3-4 yr old HTC one. I read a lot of reviews before buying. I too looked at the Yoga pad. I wanted the one with the projector, but wasn't willing to spend $500+ on one. Maybe if it was my primary device. This is my first tablet. I didn't have much desire for one before.

13. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Remember, you pay for what you get. Stay away from the $100 tablets; they will not work too well for what you want to use them for and their screen resolution will be less than ideal. I've tried a couple of the $100 ones and sent them all back. get the highest resolution display that you can afford (especially for photo editing) and be aware of the battery capacity; the earlier Samsungs do not last very long before needing to be charged.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    1) You can get a refurbished iPad mini from Gamestop for around $200 if you want to stay in the iOS ecosystem.
    2) If going Android, I'd stick with a Nexus tablet. You should be able to find a used Nexus 7 gen2, Nexus 9 for not a lot of money or Pixel C.

15. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    +1 for the Nexus 7 (2013) = gen2 - it may be only 7", but it's quick in use, and it can handle SD cards via either a dedicated reader with a Micro USB plug or an adapted USB reader. It's got a wide gamut FHD display - very nice in use. Adequate calibration software is a bit costly, but available (not that I bought it - I use the tablet when travelling, but not that often for editing on the whole).

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I had one and sold it. Too small and it was kind of slow compared to my phone. Plus no SD card slot, so limited storage

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  17. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    I had one and it was great for it's time, but it really is kind of old by now and slow.

The NVidia Shield K1 is 2 years newer, 8'', clean Android interface, has an upgrade to Android 7 and about $200. At this point in time, there is no reason to get a nexus 7, as nice as it was for it's days.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

If I can't find anything good, I'll probably just wait for refurb ipad Air 1 to come back in stock. I did like my iPad, but as I said I'm preferring android these days.

Me, too. And mostly what I do with photo editing are more global adjustments, so often I find Snapseed better than Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Well Apple just launched a new base model iPad 9.7" at $329. That's going to be hard to beat: iPad 9.7-inch

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Ended up buying myself one of these new iPad for my B-day. I couldn't find anything as good for the money in the Android realm. Works very well for transferring images via wi-fi, editing via Snapseed and VSCO, and uploading to cloud. That was my goal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.