Android Tablet for photo editing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkbslc, Mar 20, 2017.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used to have an ipad 4 (last one before the Air), but sadly my kids destroyed it a while back. I really liked traveling and editing photos from it. The screen was a nice size and good resolution/quality and apps like Snapseed and VSCO are some of my favorite editing programs to use. I wanted to pick up another tablet, but I don't really want an iPad again. I'm using Android 7 for my phone, and would like to stick with Android. And my kids really like iPads more than Android, so it's a little damage insurance there :). I would like 9-11" screen with high res and good color.

Sadly, It seems like slim pickings for Android tablets these days. A lot of the Samsungs say they come with Android 5, meaning they are at least 2-3 years old, right? It seems like there are a lot of $100 tablets, but nothing that really competes with an iPad. A trip to Best buy didn't find much for me.

Any ideas or suggestions? Ideally it would be a little cheaper than an iPad Air but that's not a requirement.

2. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
  3. tkbslc

looks cool. Thanks for the the suggestion.

I have 2 $50 Amazon tablets and a $200 Chromebook for the kids to use, but they always sneak my nice stuff when I'm at work, anyway!

4. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    The Pixel C comes with Android 7. I generally prefer the clean Android interface, and this coming from Google will have that.

Google Store – Nexus, Chromecast e mais

I personally still have an older NVidia Shield K1 - it is a bit old and only 8'' - but it also has Android 7 (after over the air update).

• Like Like x 2
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Any reason you aren't looking at a windows tablet?

7. tkbslc

Don't like the software. Or rather, most windows photo software isn't very tablet friendly.

8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Faststone Image Viewer works rather well on mine. It's what I use at home so translation is easy. As does Excel and Word which I need for work.

But OS is a very personal thing....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lescrane

Lescrane Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    Using Samsung galaxy s2 which apparently has been replaced by S3.
    PhotoMate 3 app.
    Dongle to load up sd cards.

Still not as good as laptop or pc but good for traveling

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    +1 for the Galaxy Tab S2. Best solution I've found as I hate to travel heavy.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Have you thought about trying to pick up a second hand iPad? IPad 4 or first generation air is good enough for photo editing, it's what I use when in a hurry! I know you mentioned you wanted android, but you might getter bang for buck with a pre-loved apple. Nothing against Android - I have an android phone, the oneplus 3T, and if oneplus made a tablet I'd be on it like a shot.

I Iove the tactile editing on a tablet,and if I could get an app that did frequency separation retouching I'd cancel my CC subscription...

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I just recently picked up an Asus zenpad 3S 10". It's got 4 GB of ram and runs android 6. Can find them under $300. I haven't tried photo editing, but it's speedy and nice display. I'm sure snapseed would run great on it as it runs well on my 3-4 yr old HTC one. I read a lot of reviews before buying. I too looked at the Yoga pad. I wanted the one with the projector, but wasn't willing to spend $500+ on one. Maybe if it was my primary device. This is my first tablet. I didn't have much desire for one before.

13. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Remember, you pay for what you get. Stay away from the $100 tablets; they will not work too well for what you want to use them for and their screen resolution will be less than ideal. I've tried a couple of the $100 ones and sent them all back. get the highest resolution display that you can afford (especially for photo editing) and be aware of the battery capacity; the earlier Samsungs do not last very long before needing to be charged.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    1) You can get a refurbished iPad mini from Gamestop for around $200 if you want to stay in the iOS ecosystem.
    2) If going Android, I'd stick with a Nexus tablet. You should be able to find a used Nexus 7 gen2, Nexus 9 for not a lot of money or Pixel C.

15. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    +1 for the Nexus 7 (2013) = gen2 - it may be only 7", but it's quick in use, and it can handle SD cards via either a dedicated reader with a Micro USB plug or an adapted USB reader. It's got a wide gamut FHD display - very nice in use. Adequate calibration software is a bit costly, but available (not that I bought it - I use the tablet when travelling, but not that often for editing on the whole).

M.

16. tkbslc

I had one and sold it. Too small and it was kind of slow compared to my phone. Plus no SD card slot, so limited storage

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  17. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    I had one and it was great for it's time, but it really is kind of old by now and slow.

The NVidia Shield K1 is 2 years newer, 8'', clean Android interface, has an upgrade to Android 7 and about $200. At this point in time, there is no reason to get a nexus 7, as nice as it was for it's days.

18. tkbslc

If I can't find anything good, I'll probably just wait for refurb ipad Air 1 to come back in stock. I did like my iPad, but as I said I'm preferring android these days.

Me, too. And mostly what I do with photo editing are more global adjustments, so often I find Snapseed better than Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

Well Apple just launched a new base model iPad 9.7" at $329. That's going to be hard to beat: iPad 9.7-inch

20. tkbslc

Ended up buying myself one of these new iPad for my B-day. I couldn't find anything as good for the money in the Android realm. Works very well for transferring images via wi-fi, editing via Snapseed and VSCO, and uploading to cloud. That was my goal.