Android Questions???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbie36, May 11, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have had an Apple Iphone since they first came out but I am thinking about moving to Android for my next phone. Apart from an inherent hatred of Itunes, I dont have much in the way of complaints about the Iphone - I just thought it would be good to go for a bit of a change and I already have an ipad for the ios system.

Now I would like to use my new phone for showing people my photos, so the large screen is a bonus. The question is how do I get all my photos from Lightroom to my phone. With an iphone it is far more trouble than its worth for me.

If it isnt easy to do straight from Lightroom, is there an App that lets me sync my photos from my Flickr account (i.e. download them) to my phone.

Finally is there an Android phone that is thought particularly good for viewing photos due to its screen. I am currently looking at the Galaxy S4 and HTC One.

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Thanks for the reply but this is just the sort of Flickr App I am NOT looking for.

I dont need to upload photos from my phone to my Flickr account. I only send them to Flickr after I have edited them in LR.

Secondly, and more importantly, this App only lets me 'browse' my Flickr photos online. Not much use if I am not connected which is quite often.

IOS has an ipad app 'portfolio pro' that lets you download your photos from your Flickr account to your ipad. Just click on a 'set' and download and they are then available offline.

Ideally I would like an App which 'synced' with Flickr so my photos 'downloaded' to my phone matched the pics that I had 'uploaded' to Flickr.

4. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
  5. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    You can publish directly to Flickr from Lightroom (4). I'm not sure if it comes with LR, but you can get a plug in from Jeff Friedl's blog
    Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s Lightroom Goodies (Plugins and Tools) and install it easily.

I use a similar plugin from him to publish to my zenfolio account.

To get from Flickr to the android, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.flickr&hl=en install an app from the google play store that syncs to your Flickr account.

The google play store is the Android version of the Apple store.

I've also used a bluetooth connection to move photos from my Macbook to both my Android phone and Android tablet. The file system on both is pretty transparent, so its a drag and drop operation.

I have a previous generation HTC Synch, and it works well, but the battery life is not great. I moved to it from an Iphone because the keyboard on the Iphone was too small for me to type easily, and I use a helper called Swype on the Android that is not available on IOS.

Hope this helps!

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Photo Transfer App allows you to send photos directly from your computer to your android phone/tablet over wifi. I use it all the time. Nexus Media Importer allows you to move items directly through a USB cable. It also works very well. I don't have an android phone - can't help you there - I use an android tablet (Motorola Xoom).

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes transporting to my phone either through an SD card or as your phone showing up on your pc would be interesting. You cant really do either with the ios products (you need to go through itunes.)

As I am leaning towards the HTC One - which doesnt have an SD card slot - I wondered if you could just connect your Android to a usb port and export from LR. Is this possible?

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    you can simply drag and drop images from your PC or Mac to an andriod phone. You can copybthem to the main memory or a micro SD card. Or you could use a card reader to copy the files and then insert it into the phone. Ridiculously easy.

After 4 iPhones my Galaxy Note II is by far my favourite phone ever. An astounding device.

Gordon

11. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Note II here as well. HTC one looks great except for 2 no go's for me:
    1) already touched on but I like the microSD option.
    2) user serviceability, at the very least it should be dead easy to change a battery, and relatively easy to get at the display. The HTC one is apparently the worst phone ever to disassemble.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I feel the same way about my Note II. They really nailed it with this phone.

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've been using Picfolio for my PicasaWeb photos. I just picked up Flickfolio, as I plan to start using Flickr too. Very polished and feature-rich apps. My Galaxy S3 has a nice big screen, works great for showing off photos ... short of a tablet. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Amin. Have you put the Nova launcher on your Note 2? I have after being very frustrated that Samsung locked down Touchwiz so much. Nova launcher is the final peice for me. I even bought the paid version just to show support for the developer I like it that much. Now I have 6 dock items and a nice 5x6 grid on my home pages.

Gordon

15. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    You can also use kies air and connect to your computer via wifi and use your browser to upload photos to your phone. Pretty straightforward and easy to use.

16. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    ADW launcher is great too, re-sizable widgets, scroll-able dock, up to a 10x10 grid....... That's the great thing with Android , it is nearly infinitely customizable.

I also run a custom Kernel that has been modified to provide calibrated sRGB color (or as close as you can get without running a calibrator on your phone). Made a big difference to the display of color managed photos.

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    That's what I don't get, spyder has usb, my nexus has usb, why don't they just make an app. Would be nice, I'd pay like up to $20 for that. Preferably less though, but I would fork it over though.

18. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not sure about the spyder but with my colormunki I can run the free program "colorhcfr" on my laptop and open downloaded test patterns on my phone. I did a basic check when I installed the custom kernel and it was close enough that I didn't bother trying to improve it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Mu-43 mobile app

19. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2013
    If you really want to think different, take a look at the BlackBerry Z10. 4.2" IPS screen and I use a 64Gb XD mSD card in mine. Plenty of Flckr apps for it, although I haven't used them myself.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins