1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Android Camera Apps

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Aushiker, May 12, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I have a HTC M7 (Android) and have thought about trying to make better use of its camera when I don't have my E-M1 to hand. Hence I am curious as to what camera apps etc are used or consider the worth giving a go.

Thanks
    Andrew

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you're looking for something that offers lots of manual control check out Camera FV-5. It costs $4, but there IS a free version that is limited to low-res but at least allows you to check out the interface.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1
    Camera FV-5 is well supported and updated regularly, too.

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Camera FV-5

I have it on both of my phones, one being HTC One M7.

5. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Thanks everyone. Purchased Camera FV-5.

Andrew

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can you make it the default? My problem is that the native camera apps are usually there for quick unlock access. So even when I've installed better camera apps, I flick open the stock app for fast access so I don't miss the moment (or I can do it one handed)

7. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Continuing the theme of Android apps, any suggestions on good photography apps to consider?

Thanks
    Andrew

8. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    FV-5 is really great

What I installed :
    - Photo Editor, one that developes by "macgyver". Personally I love it because it has manual tools such as curves, levels, clone and other useful features. And it's free.
    - Snapseed
    - Fotor
    - Camcorder, just a shortcut to access video quickly
    - XnRetro (free version)

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I use iOS, but I know that Snapseed and VSCOcam are both available for Android, and both are excellent (and free, although VSCO has some paid as well as some free filters available in the app).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    VSCO rocks. It's definitely worth downloading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's one of my favorites, but I hate the whole importing pics into the library thing. I end up with a giant duplicate stack of photos that don't delete from the main photo app.

Snapseed is fantastic as an all around editor. I wish I could get some of the basic exposure tuning tools in Photoshop.

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, at least you can finally bulk import! I use it a lot just for inspiration viewing the GRID images, and for quick edits when I only have a few pics. The newest set of 10 presets are pretty nice.

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use an iPhone, but these are the camera related apps that I use and are installed on my phone with descriptions. I'm sure at least half of them are available on Android's Google Play Store.

Camera Apps
    - Apple Camera (obviously, what's great about the built-in camera app is that aside from time lapse, video, slo-mo video and panorama, it offers a 4x3 mode and a square mode. The two modes can have separate film/filter settings so usually I have the 4x3 mode on either Normal/Chrome/Transfer color setting and the square mode in Noir (high contrast B&W) setting. Also, the burst mode does 10fps which is nice to have sometimes)
    - Aillis (kind of like VSCO with a bunch of nice/interesting filters and basic editing tools)
    - Camera360 (kind of like VSCO with a bunch of nice/interesting filters and basic editing tools)
    - Faded (kind of like VSCO with a bunch of nice/interesting filters and basic editing tools)
    - ProCam (more manual controls)
    - SecureCamera (since phones sold in Korea and Japan by law need to make a shutter sound regardless, I use this when I need to be a bit more discreet)
    - Slow Shutter (great for doing slow/long exposures)

Editing Apps:
    - Darkroom (some basic but interesting filters and editing tools but most useful is that it has a curves tool)
    - ECP Photo (bunch of nice/interesting filters and editing tools but the most useful are it's brushes and noise reduction tool)
    - Prime (very similar to VSCO's editing tools as well as it's UI)
    - Snapseed (the king of editing apps IMO)
    - Tangent (for interesting geometric overlays)
    - VSCO (nice/interesting filters with basic editing tools along with image sharing)

Viewing/Sharing Apps:
    - 500px (mobile version of 500px)
    - Carousel (mobile version of Carousel; automatic image upload to Dropbox)
    - EyeEm (mobile version of EyeEm; great photo sharing community)
    - Flickr (mobile version of Flickr; image upload as well as great photo sharing community)
    - Google Photos (mobile version of Google Photos; automatic image upload to Google Photos)
    - Instagram (mobile version of Instagram; great photo sharing community)
    - NatGeo View (outstanding photos every day of the week submitted by community members chosen by NatGeo editors)

Wireless Apps:
    - Fujifilm Cam Remote (wireless remote/image transfer for my X100T)
    - Fujifilm Instax Share (wireless printing to Instax printer from any wireless device)
    - Olympus O.I. Share (wireless remote/image transfer for my OM-D E-M5 II)

As an aside, I love using my iPhone 6 Plus as a camera. The IQ, within limitations, surpasses my expectations of what a smartphone camera is capable of. The OIS works extremely well. Framing images on what's essentially a 1080P 5.5" screen is a joy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Bumping this question.

How do you make FV-5 the default camera??
    I've finally jumped into the smarty phone era with a Sony Z3 compact that has a very handy camera button. But, it seems to load the stock app only which is very basic
    Anyone???

15. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I looked into this a while back when I got a Sony Z1 and couldn't find a way to do it. I did see some comments on forums about disabling the stock camera app, but that didn't work for me - it just made the shutter button do nothing. Maybe those people were referring to a rooted phone.

So there appears to be no obvious solution, but I too would certainly be interested if anyone knows a way (without rooting).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Another vote for Snapseed! :thumbup:

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I also have a Z3 Compact and haven't been able to configure this functionality. When I first got the phone I spent some time going down the Google rabbit hole to find a way, but my search proved fruitless. I'm convinced it's possible, but I haven't found the answer. I haven't (yet) rooted my phone, but perhaps some custom ROM includes this ability to configure the shutter button.

For now, I've just ignored the camera button and access my camera through the touch UI. Frankly, I just don't use my phone's camera all that much. I agree that the stock camera is pretty lame -- it maddening to me that it limits you to 8MB images unless you're in Manual mode. Why they would do that is puzzling to me.

If you do find an answer, please post it here. I suspect that someone over on the XDA forums might be able to answer the question.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Two very simple, yet handy camera applications: Focal and Open Camera. I like Focal because it gives you a lot of screen real estate to frame with; controls are available if needed. Open camera as a simple, yet quite powerful interface.

Other than that, Camera FV-5 is the obvious choice - but with the S4, the control remains somewhat limited.

Apart from Snapseed, I also use Aviary and the above mentioned Photo Editor; I like the latter best ...

I've also failed to figure out how to change the default camera application setting - and I'd be quite interested in finding out, too.

M.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Changing default camera apps is usually something tied up in the manufacturers' overlay, unless you have a pure Android phone like one of the Nexus models. I'd check and see if there is a forum devoted to your particular model.

20. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I don't know if your phone has the setting exposed for you to change. If not, there's an app in the Play Store called Default App Manager that can do it.

• Informative Informative x 1