And what is the going rate for camel rentals these days?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I gave up on most photography magazines years ago. And as much as I read on the web, I still try to stay away from magazines and social media sites. Just not my cup of tea and we'll leave it at that. Yesterday, I kept my beloved company at her doctor's appointment. while waiting in the lobby for her, I saw a copy of Outdoor Photography and decided to skim it as there was nothing else interesting to read. Most of the articles were the same as as they were 20 years ago, with the exception of newer equipment being used or discussed. But, an article entitled "Take Better Travel Photos" https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/tips-techniques/travel-photography/take-better-travel-photos/ caught my eye as I do love to take photos when I travel. Yes, the accompanying photos were what one would expect in such an article in such a magazine, but I was totally floored by some of his suggestions, such as how to take control of a situation. I understand when somebody is on assignment that things are not left to chance, but how many folks really rent a camel as props while on vacation? I guess if you get a free dog in the deal than it must be worth consideration. :rolleyes:

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Camel rental hasn't been discussed in the Camalids thread as yet, though it does appear @PacNWMike bought a llama. I'm unsure if much photographic intent was involved, though. ;)
Let's watch and see if he gets the itch to open up a rental business. Although I am not sure a llama is the best prop for a tourist visiting the Pacific Northwest. :hmmm:

--Ken

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I was sucked in to subscribing to Outdoor Photography by its $11/year price. I think I was hearkening back to days of yore when I used to sit in my easy chair cruising the ads from BP, Adorama, Ritz and the rest. Remember those bright yellow full-pages with the teeny tiny type that listed every lens and body known to man?

Anyway, the OPs assessment isn't wrong. Mostly same-ol' same-ol', nothing new to write about. Light, composition, etc.

I saw that article and I think the author is using 'rent' pretty loosely. I suspect he offered the cameleer $5 to pose and then sign a release. So, would I do that? Yeah. On the other hand I could be wrong, and Outdoor Photographer Magazine footed the bill for a camel/dog/man combo, on location!

All of that aside, lucky you. My doctor's office is full of Motor Trend and Better Homes and Gardens. Many's the time I thought to myself: "I'd kill for a photography magazine."

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've never rented a camel, so I don't know the rates, but be sure to avoid airport rentals. They are always more expensive than off-airport rental locations.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Let's watch and see if he gets the itch to open up a rental business.
I get the impression that could be a bit of a wait since as Mike may no longer be in possession of a llama. I checked the major United States photography suppliers I'm aware of---Adorama and B&H---and they do not appear to know what a llama is. It also seems KEH does not provide used llamas. Considering the Washington Post asserts llamas are literally everywhere in the United States this is somewhat disappointing. Though, from the Post's map, western Washington (along with western Oregon and Arizona) has some of the continent's highest llama densities. It seems to me this indicates an opportunity for a regional llama broker to connect an abundant supply with temporary photographic demand by renting other people's llamas. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate any such business.

Llama Nation does, however, provide a detailed search engine which (as of this post) lists 31 llamas for sale in Washington at prices ranging from US$ 300 to US$ 10,000. The Outdoor Photography article is distinctly lacking in practical details as to how this works but I presume that if one's planning to photograph llamas with a kit lens one can use a lower cost llama and more expensive lenses require more expensive llamas, consistent with @drd1135's assertion regarding full frame camels. I also tried to ascertain how one transports one's llama but a search of the camera bag threads here on mu-43.com produces absolutely no hits.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Let's watch and see if he gets the itch to open up a rental business.
This is, admittedly, a small n, but when we stay in two lodgings in the state of Washington and find this

_HFB2313.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

in the neighboring field at one, and, just down the road from the other, this

_HFB2662.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

you just have to admire his perspicacity in not entering the field. They're freaking everywhere!

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I suspect he offered the cameleer $5 to pose and then sign a release. So, would I do that? Yeah. On the other hand I could be wrong, and Outdoor Photographer Magazine footed the bill for a camel/dog/man combo, on location!
The way that you have described it, sure, I might consider it. But what I find a bit patronizing about the author is the way he refers to the person and the animals as "props". Is that really how he feels about local people in other countries? It's an attitude that reminds me a lot of the line in the Pretenders song "Middle of the Road" - "When you own a big chunk of the bloody third world, the babies just come with the scenery."

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I've never rented a camel, so I don't know the rates, but be sure to avoid airport rentals. They are always more expensive than off-airport rental locations.
I agree. And I assume it would be cheaper to fill up the camel before returning it.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom