And the Best Camera of 2012 on DPReview is...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phoque, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Was there ever any doubt? ;)

Impressive show of support for the system, indeed.
  2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Wow, lots of bitter comments on that article :biggrin:
  3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Having watched Olympus painfully allow the OM-3/4 series to die when autofocus took over the market, scouring photography magazines for any mention of Olympus in the ever dominated Nikon / Canon market, and the rumours of the OM-5 which never did materialize, after a few pathetic attempts at cameras (OM-77AF, etc) it's amazing that 20 years later, after about 10 years of milking the Stylus clamshell designs and about 7 traction less years of 4/3 system cameras we have come to this.

I have been a die-hard Oly fan of some 30 years and this is really sweet.

It's such a beautiful product where so many things have to come together to create an instrument that captured the imagination of photographers loyal to any brand. Bravo!
  4. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

LOL lots of sour grapes in the comments
  5. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    A great choice. I love mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    I looked at the comments...

Butthurt. Butthurt everywhere.
  7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    It is a great camera and a load of fun too. Love it and in many situations, better than my Nikon D90.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    There is no doubt that the OM-D was the best camera of the year. It tears down the boundaries of how well a compact-sized camera can perform in IQ, even compared to its much bigger brothers, the FF DSLRs. I am pleased that Olympus has not been afraid to innovate (5-axis IBIS), and even bring back something from their past (retro look), plus use an incredible sensor from Sony to create such an excellent package. Well done Olympus. Well deserved accolade.

9. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    The comments are the norm for dpreview, sad state really
  10. sh@iful

sh@iful Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Penang, Malaysia
    Shaiful Amdan
    Don't care what others (canikon ******) have to say bad things about E-M5 really..but what i do care is i just love my E-M5 badly!:wink:
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sure, there's plenty of "doubt" when the margin is that close with plenty of other great cameras in the mix. But there's no doubt it's indicative of some sort of tipping point where mirrorless can clearly compete with DSLRs and are being taken seriously by a LOT of fairly serious camera users. It's good news for the format to be sure.

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with this completely Ray. We had a thread here a while back about whether or not the E-M5 was a "game changer", iirc. I think this poll, as unscientific as it is, clearly makes the point that the camera is just that. The fact that it won a popularity contest against Canon and Nikon cameras says a lot.
  13. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I hope the one thing the industry takes from all this is how important it is to have a well rounded product and system (lenses + flash support). No matter what anyone says about the EM5 either negative or positive no one can deny that with the m4/3 system it is the most complete package available to date.
  14. TDP

TDP Guest

Wow, yeah no kidding.

Of course at any given year newly released Nikon and Canon bodies will be awesome, will sell well and be loved by Nikon and Canon people. That is what Nikon and Canon do, and they do it well. Olympus just threw a bit of a curve ball with the EM5 - small, packed with tech, good sensor, inexpensive and with "it is a REAL camera" retro looks.

Oh and the sour grapes? I think a lot of photo hobbyist pick a brand for whatever reason, invest in gear and defend their choice as "the best" to internally justify the money they spent on a hobby. Externally they self promote as a "Canon guy" or "Nikon girl", a photographic sense of identity through a name brand.
  15. jaiho

jaiho Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012
    Micro four-thirds is the future. OM-D is a testament to this. Great show Olympus. Keep it up.
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    A popularity contest is a definitely a good sign for mu43. No matter how good you are technically, a popularity contest is what reflects sales.
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    And of course,
    There are absolutely no Olympus or Panasonic owners that do this....It's only the "other folks" that do....:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Fair point. I am guilty of lurking all over the dpreview forums and it seems to me to be worst in the Sony forums.