And another "new" guy

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by PatrickNSF, Sep 30, 2011.

1. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Greetings –

I'm a sometimes lurker but finally registered this morning. I'm a amateur/hobbyist and have been shooting digital point-and-shoots since December 1999 (started with a Canon Powershot S10) and have progressed through a number of cameras since then. My first DSLR was the Canon 10D sometime in the spring of 2003.

This year, I've been using a Canon S95, a Sony HX9V (for video mostly), a Panasonic GH2 (again, for video) and a Canon 40D (for stills). I never really warmed to the GH2 for stills (and I had the GH1 prior to that), and I don't take all that much video, so I sold that this year. And I rarely use the 40D while out.

I've had my eye on the Oly Pens for a while – 90% of what I shoot is jpeg and I like the Oly colors and exposure – but the autofocus speed always kept me away. The new generation of Pens took care of that issue for me and I jumped into a E-P3 last week. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Tomorrow I'm trying my hand at photographing my son's soccer game with the Oly 14-150mm. It's 9 and 10 year olds, so they don't move the ball all that fast and I'm not expecting any miracles. But if I can end up with a few decent keepers, I'm pretty sure I'll retire the Canon gear for good.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh nice! I'm assuming you got silver.... *eyes you cautiously*...... lemme know how yer liking the 14-150. I keep threatening to add one of the uberzoomers to my " I neeeeeeeed it! " list. Lol
    Toss up some pics!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  3. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    No, I went for black...out of habit, I guess.

I've been testing the 14-150 around the neighborhood to try to get a feel for it and it's surprisingly light compared to the Canon 18-200 and Panasonic 14-140 which I've used i the past.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011