Analog light meters / Gossen Lunasix F

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Recently I picked up my third analog light meter, a Gossen Lunasix F (I believe in North America it was marketed under the name Luna Pro?). With all, or at least far and away most (?), modern camera's having a built in "reflective" light meter, the need for a stand alone light meter is perhaps only for specific purposes, such as when you need to do "incident" metering (measuring the amount of light at your subject). So my analog light meters are mostly for the purposes of curiosity and exploration; I don't really need one. I don't own any digital light meters.

One problem I have found when using an analog, film era, light meter with an Olympus camera (don't know about other brands) is that the ISO scales of the camera and the light meter do not match. Apparently what Olympus calls "ISO 200" is equivalent to ISO 125 on these light meters because Olympus does something with under exposing by 2/3 EV. There have been discussions on this subject, but for me the bottom line is that for my analog light meters to give a correct reading I have to set them to a different ISO setting than my camera, by 2/3 stop.

However, one very useful feature of the Gossen Lunasix F is that it has an EV compensation dial. So you can dial in that -2/3 EV and then the ISO and other readings match the camera. Saves from doing the math. When Gossen added this feature the digital camera didn't yet exist so I doubt they anticipated this use case, but it works very well.

As I said, for the photography that I do I don't need a light meter. But I enjoy exploring these things, and many analog light meters work quite nicely.

Just wanted to share :)

Regards, C.

StirlingBartholomew

Mu-43 Regular
I had the 1970s versions of the Luna Pro, Gossen flash meter and Seconic L428 for indecent readings. I picked up a Gossen Multbeam (solid state) for my father. I discovered that shooting '70s nikkor glass you had to test and make adjustments for each lens. Some long lenses like the 300mm f4.5 or the 500mm CAT (mirror) had different light transmission than the 200mm f4. Since all my Nikon bodies had TTL metering it was more reliable to just use the built in metering combined with the spot attachment for the LunaPro set to the narrow range when using long lenses. I used the Seconic 428 for available light portraits mostly shot with 85mm F1.8 or 200mm f4 which were close enough to identical.

Digital cameras are not identical in handeling exposure. My Lumix G2 and Olympus E-M5 handle ISO differently. With the EM-5 the histogram is much better than the G2 and I nearly always just look at the histogram which makes things slow because I have to switch it off to compose after setting the exposure. I shoot full manual everything all the time. I used to expose to the right but recenty have backed off on that. Not concerned about a little noise in the shadows. I like noise. Used to shoot Ansco 500 transparencies and Kodak Recording film 2475.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In terms of light meters, I saw over at dpreview that Sekonic was celebrating its 70th anniversary by having a limited edition of the L-28 from 1956. Only 700 copies will be made. No indication on pricing, but I have to imagine if you have to ask what the price is, you can't afford it.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom