An other try with PL25 1.4

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bhupinder2002, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So after getting frustrating results earlier I mustered the courage to take PL25 1.4 to a near by park for a test again . I must admit that things are better now ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

P3024314_2.
    P3024301.
    P3024300.
    P3024299.
    P3024298.

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    In my honest opinion I think these shots could have been taken with a kit lens to the same effect

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Perhaps you should work on composition Bhupinder. I'm not sure what you want us to look at here...

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think it's more about sharpness? The pics look quite sharp to me, and with the first two I don't think the kit lens could do as well. The last shot looks like it's suffering slightly from flare (given the angle of the shadow and the direction of the lens; I'm noticing less contrast in that shot than the others).

Bhupinder, get a ND filter so you can take shots wide open in daylight in case you want nice shallow DoF. I would also recommend using the lens hood too (although it is honkin' big and not reversible... urgh)

5. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Well said Hiep!

ND filter is also next on my list. Also you're spot on, the PL25 does better with a hoodie on. BTW: I found a perfect sized genuine PL hood for it! Unfortunately it's a little pricey at close to $600 new :eek: But you get a free PL 45 Macro-Elmarit thrown in :biggrin: Yeah the hood from its older longer (only in FL) cousin fits perfect on the PL25 and so I just tote around the one hood for them both now. And they play very nicely together, very nicely indeed!

6. Bhupinder2002

It wasn't about composition .. It was all about sharpness . I have ordered ND filter already . Infact I wanted to take kit lens with me to compare but I did a mistake of asking my wife to come with me as well . Now how the hell on earth I can shoot at leisure n pleasure when she is around .. Hahaha
    Hurry hurry up .. N hence u can do what u r supposed to do lol. Anyway any help with composition is welcome as well .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Hey Bhupinder,

Which shooting more are you using, to me at least on my computer the images are a bit overexposed, is that how you like our images to come out - on the bright side? You are losing a lot of detail in the trees and especially in the wood of the bridge.

Still not sure on the sharpness either.. Any chance that you had the kit zoom lens and took a similar photo at 25mm focal for comparisons???

• Like Like x 1
  8. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    +1

any post processing?

9. Bhupinder2002

Not at all OOC JPEgs, I have RAW files and will process them tonight.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. Bhupinder2002

I always use aperture priority mode , I did two mistakes, I forgot hood at home , I didn't order ND filter with the lens itself . But still this lens hasn't stunned me at all on the whole. I am not gonna sell it soon though , I like the speed and low light performance . I will buy 20 mm 1.7 as well , compare myself and see which one to keep.
    Cheers

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Unless you have a defective lens, I don't think you can learn anything meaningful about sharpness looking at images that have been downsampled to 25% of original width and height.

DH

12. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Lens sharpness isn't judged by small web-size jpegs, the images of identical "sharpness" could have been taken with a point and shoot camera (and even look better than your PL25 examples here).

13. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    for many the low light performance is already a good... :smile:

not sure why you want to buy the 20mm since you already have the 25mm - for
    the 5mm? and prepare to later loose some money on either one.

both the the 25mm and 45mm are very good imo... i hope that the 14 and 17mm
    are just as "good"!

14. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Some additional thoughts Bhupinder:

In addition to the ND filter, you should also consider a polarizing filter. At least in this shooting scenario where you're shooting in very bright harsh light the PL filter will cut down on the glare. Just watch out for gradations in the sky due to the PL filter (not a big deal IMO). It's also a very poor man's ND filter. :wink: It will cut a small amount of light.

For me personally the whole point of a f/1.4 lens is to shoot it wide open. If I'm going to stop down, I mind as well use a kit lens (which I do, when I feel having a deep DoF is beneficial). That's why I have 2 bodies (watchout GAS! :rofl:)

I think when you get your ND filter + hood and start shooting at f/1.4 in daylight you'll be amazed. :biggrin:

15. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    IMHO.. your shots look good.. ND filters and Lens Hoods? talk to Ken Rockwell about that.. use your hand for a lens hood.. ND filters.. wow.. I think some of the criticism here is way off.. the PL 25 is great straight out of the Box..keep it.. :wink:
    Doug

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I must add.. I find in these threads when someone criticizes a camera, lens or some other product.. a lot of times they don't even own the one they are criticizing and have never tried it themselves.. go figure..

• Like Like x 1
  17. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    MrDoug, a ND filter is an invaluable tool. All m43 cameras max out at 1/4000 shutter speed, and in bright daylight conditions sometimes that's not fast enough if you want to shoot wide open. Even stopped down you will still need an ND filter if you want to do long exposure shots during daytime (those nice dreamy waterfall shots? Yeah, not really possible without an ND filter).

18. Bhupinder2002

Some shots from EPL2 with Kit lens

Some shots with EPL2 and kit lens .As some one said kit lens can produce similar shots I agree. Now I will wait for ND filter and then shoot wide open during day light ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

P4231255.

P4231158.

72d9d8a398f29a36dba3c455fac91486_166.

18b4212902a5af84dccf47bcb10abf2c_8cf.

25809bd6bce5a77bf2fc3ede1a72f6f9_483.

19. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Very nice shots.. was that with the "make it all better ND filter"?

20. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1