1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

an OMD walks into a bar.....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kevinparis, Mar 21, 2013.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    its a bar he knows.. his owner kisses the barmaid in that affectionate but not in that too affectionate way that would upset his girlfriend behind him.

Around him young folks born after blues had died for at least the third time, were lining up to play...

The music started and OMD spent a good time grabbing shots with the 75, the 35, the 45 and the 25... it didn't care it was dark... he could hit 1/100 at f2 at 6400... he had done worse.

shots were taken, shots were missed.... and the were a lot of shots taken that were missed.

Hotsy Totsy March 2013 - a set on Flickr

Suddenly it was crowded... no place to move... then i remembered the red button.... video... I looked at OMD and he looked me and he said lets go for it.... we only have one take on this song to get a constant audio... no idea how good my ears or my hands are .. but I trusted OMD.

It was the cool light of the morning.. no actually afternoon when I settled down to the soon to be replaced Mac Pro, fired up Final Cut Pro X and tried my best to combine the stills of the night with the surprisingly fine sound and pictures of the OMD.

here it is.. 5 minutes of video, combined with a couple of hours of photography and 4 hours editing/relearning final cut

[ame=http://vimeo.com/62362147]Acoustic Blues Jam on Vimeo[/ame]

Video is fun... but not easy... but if you don't try it you won't learn

k

• Like Like x 13
  2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Very nice, thanks for sharing!

At first I thought, from the title, it was going to be a very tiny bar near me in California. From your photos it's a much better setting. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks danimal

I am usually in CA a couple of times a year.usually LA... i dream of tiny bar where you can have a beer and just hang out... thats what bars should be

K

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    A friend of mine that I haven't seen in nearly 20 years lives in Gent.

That was very nice. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Thanks...You have to come visit... its a very fine town

K

6. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    You and your O-MD should hit the bars more often. :drinks: Great video with very cool stills! It really gives a feeling of the atmosphere (or at least how I imagine it) in the bar that night.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Thanks quatchi.... sad thing is that the OMD can drink all he likes....and he knows I will always carry him home!!!

K

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Where's the priest and rabbi?:biggrin:

9. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    We should do that next time you're in town sir.;)

10. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Loved it, Kevin. Was this just the OM-Ds internal mic? Trying to figurer out how 30p will mix with GH3's 24P? Anyway gives me faith that the little OM=D can do the job! And I've been a blues lover for 50 years so doubly appreciated yoiur effort. Thanks!

11. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    love the narrative :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Great set and clip, thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    video is so much fun...I love the still photograph, but I love experimenting with video. Great work....keep it up!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just the internal mic... as I said I wasn't really planning to shoot video that night... this was just an experiment.

This bar is just around the corner from me, and I have got to know the bar owner, and the musicians who run the event. I was planning to approach them about doing a proper shoot...get the sound from the PA mixer, set up the GH 2 and maybe a gopro in static positions and shoot the OMD roaming.

we will see

Its just cool that there seems to be an active blues scene here in Belgium!!

K

15. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Gent is just such a great town. I love the Flemish beer, cuisine, museums, coast; it's all great! Thanks for the post!