1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

An old man [1 pic]

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by phrenic, Nov 16, 2010.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Not sure what he was reflecting on..but I enjoy this shot.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/t-quan/5180544461/" title="P7281505.jpg by one.mic, on Flickr">"375" height="500" alt="P7281505.jpg" /></a>

I'm not sure how I feel about the young man in the background..on the one hand, perhaps its a bit distracting, but on the other hand I find the physical contrast somewhat interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I love the presence of the young man - that's who the old man was - his youth is passing quietly by. But I am probably projecting. A great shot.

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Take the young man in the background away and the photograph is altered, and not for the better, it becomes much less interesting. It's impact is because of the juxtaposition of old/young mentioned by pjjohngren above, good shot.

Barrie

4. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Hi Phrenic,
    Nice one.
    Though my personal feeling is that it a bit too narrow (the foot of the old guy is cut, the head of the bikers is touching the edge, and eventually the second biker is also cut).

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    What old man? I see a kid and a gentleman close to my age, but no old man ... :tongue:

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys..much appreciated.

PetitP, I did heavily crop...iirc, there was a bunch of things I was trying to cut out of the frame. I'll post up the original shot this evening and see how that would work, or if there's a better crop possible.

7. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Good idea, let's see it :smile:

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    As promised..the original:

C185B24C932840269CA822420E99FDE9.

Unfortunately can't get around the clipping of the foot..my quick snapshot didn't have the best framing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    He almost looks like he is praying - his eyes are closed and the hand held open.