An old friend came home

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by DoofClenas, Jun 17, 2016.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Back in 2007 I purchased my first DSLR (Olympus e-500) and shot the heck out of it learning the ins and outs of photography. I upgraded in 2009 and then gave the e-500 to my sister-in-law to try her hand at photography. Last night (she's in town visiting with us) she decided that she was done with the e-500 (as she's upgraded as well) and returned it back to me. I know it's old, and I only have the kit 14-42 for it, but I can't wait to shoot with it a little bit. However, the big plan for it is to let my 8 yr old take ownership of it (to replace her little point and shoot). Can't wait for the tutoring process to begin.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    The E500 was my first DSLR too. I sold and later rebought one, but quickly resold it again, opting to stick with just the E1, EP1, E3/E30 at the time. It was a great camera and I still have some great 16x20 prints from it. I still have my E1, but it's remarkable what I now take for granted shooting handheld vs what I can/can't do with the E1. Even in somewhat decent light (indoor/dusk/cloudy), I can't do with the E1 what I can do with any of the new generation M43 cameras (handheld). You really need to stick to below ISO 400 or use a tripod, but the files are great on ISO 100. I just never use it anymore though. I love the EM1 and EM5 too much.
  3. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I should have bought the E500 in 2008, but I really wanted IBIS so I kept looking. Images in my tests against similar-price dSLRs were easily best on the Oly (with camera-store 'default' settings) and it came with the 14-42 and 40-150 for a great price. I still think about grabbing one just for the great CCD flashbacks (and the absurd used deals!).