1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

An old friend came home

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by DoofClenas, Jun 17, 2016.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Back in 2007 I purchased my first DSLR (Olympus e-500) and shot the heck out of it learning the ins and outs of photography. I upgraded in 2009 and then gave the e-500 to my sister-in-law to try her hand at photography. Last night (she's in town visiting with us) she decided that she was done with the e-500 (as she's upgraded as well) and returned it back to me. I know it's old, and I only have the kit 14-42 for it, but I can't wait to shoot with it a little bit. However, the big plan for it is to let my 8 yr old take ownership of it (to replace her little point and shoot). Can't wait for the tutoring process to begin.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    The E500 was my first DSLR too. I sold and later rebought one, but quickly resold it again, opting to stick with just the E1, EP1, E3/E30 at the time. It was a great camera and I still have some great 16x20 prints from it. I still have my E1, but it's remarkable what I now take for granted shooting handheld vs what I can/can't do with the E1. Even in somewhat decent light (indoor/dusk/cloudy), I can't do with the E1 what I can do with any of the new generation M43 cameras (handheld). You really need to stick to below ISO 400 or use a tripod, but the files are great on ISO 100. I just never use it anymore though. I love the EM1 and EM5 too much.

3. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I should have bought the E500 in 2008, but I really wanted IBIS so I kept looking. Images in my tests against similar-price dSLRs were easily best on the Oly (with camera-store 'default' settings) and it came with the 14-42 and 40-150 for a great price. I still think about grabbing one just for the great CCD flashbacks (and the absurd used deals!).