1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

An Observation in London: DSLR or Mirrorless

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ijm5012, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon, a 6 day stay in London (while it was our honeymoon, we've been married for nearly a year, but more on that later). I've seen some posts here and on other forums that talk about what cameras people are using in other parts of the world. Being as photographic as London is, I thought I'd share my views regarding different types of cameras I saw while I was over there.

Our trip consisted of flying in to London and spending the first day there, as well as the last three days. The other two days were spent down in the southern part of England at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, a very popular car exhibition / hill climb event (this was the stipulation I told my wife, was that if she wanted to go to London for our honeymoon, we would have to plan it around this event.). I'll start off by talking about the two days at the Festival of Speed, and then talk about what I saw in London.

The Festival of Speed is very much a fast action event. You have cars driving at up to 100+ mph, you have the Red Arrows and Royal Air Force doing flyovers, and you have BMX & Moto X riders doing their thing. Obviously, the majority of cameras were DSLR's (more Canon than Nikon), but I really felt bad for these people seeing them lugging around all of their gear (70-200 f/2.8's, 100-400 L's, monstrous telephoto primes, etc.). I had with me my two GH4's, 12-35 & 35-100 f/2.8, Sirui T-005X tripod, and some other miscellaneous items. I was honestly surprised at how many m43 cameras I saw there though. I saw a gentleman using an E-M1 with battery grip & 40-150 PRO, I saw a couple people with either GH3's or GH4's, and a couple people with an E-M5/E-M10-E-M5 II, and even a couple older Panasonic G models (I even had a guy next to me shooting a GH3 with battery grip and 45-175 PZ, so we talked for a bit). There were a good bit more m43 cameras there than I expected. Behind m43 cameras were Sony's, but no A7's. All of the Sonys I saw were a6000's, mostly with that crap PZ kit lens.

Now, London was a bit of a different story (well, kinda). DSLR's again reigned supreme, but behind those I saw a LOT (relatively) of Sony cameras. NEX 5's & 6's, a6000's, and even a couple A7 models. I think I only saw two or three m43 cameras (one GH4 and two smaller E-PM or E-PL models with the kit lens). What I was surprised at was the amount of Samsung cameras I saw. I saw about as many Samsung cameras as I did m43 cameras when I was out in the city. No NX-1's, just some of their "lesser" models, similar to the a6000 from Sony.

It was a fantastic trip, with wonderful weather (I'll post some pictures once I sort through them all. I have thousands of images, and many GB of 4K video to sort through). I was really surprised with how many m43 cameras I saw at a sporting even like Goodwood though. I think people are beginning to realize the advantages of the m43 system, where you get great AF with a fantastic and mature lens line up. I'm going to a number of races in the following weekends here back home, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if I can spot any m43 cameras at a similar event back here in the states.

2. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I just came back from Italy (Venice, Murano, Burano, Florence, Siena and Rome). I noticed a lot more mirrorless compared to last year in Spain. Phones and tablets are still the most popular followed by budget DSLRs. Superzooms were also popular. There were also a few "full" frames like Nikon D600 and Canon 6D and some rich Chinese tourists with Nikon D4s and Canon 1Dx hanging around their necks as status symbols. For m43 I noticed a lot of Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic GX7 and some of the older 12MP models from Olympus. Similar to you I was surprised to see the lower end models of Samsung mirrorless showing up. Lastly I saw a couple of Fujifilm X-T1, X100s and Leicas. To me it seems people are finally seeing the advantage of the smaller size of mirrorless. One other thing that was truely annoying was the number of selfie sticks. These people not only take selfies, but they'll keep the phone on the stick and use it to take regular photos at arms length. Then they wonder why the photos are all blurry.

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Here in Korea, in order of what's popular here:

1. Smartphones (Samsung, Apple iPhone and LG, in that order)
    2. Canon and Nikon DSLRs (both APS-C and FF)
    3. Sony A7 and NEX series

Truth be told, I've seen only a couple of Fuji cameras in the wild and have yet to see any other m43 user. I've gone on a few photography meetups and most are shooting Canon and Nikon DSLRs while a few have had a Sony A7 series cameras and another guy I saw with a Fuji X100S.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    True, I forgot to mention camera phones and superzoom cameras. Those were everywhere, but I was really only paying attention to ILC's. I also saw a fair number of Sony RX100 models while I was at Goodwood.