An M9 with EVF

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I was pondering the other day whether Leica would ever create an M9 equivalent, but with an EVF, rather than the current OVF (as an option). If they did, then I'd very likely buy one. With an EVF, you'd be able to use a myriad of lenses, like you can with m4/3s and the others, and not be limited to a somewhat narrow band of focal lengths because of the limitations of the OVF.

Personally, I don't think it would in any way diminish the quality of the Leica, but would allow an option for those that would find it very useful to use other lenses and not have composition/focus limitations. The EVFs are so good nowadays that there is no real reason not to use them and a rangefinder style camera is the ideal format in which to use them.

Some diehards would probably slash their wrists at the mere suggestion. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I like your idea, Ray. I think that some of us are hoping that Fuji will go this route after they introduce the X100. I think there are quite a few Leica lovers who'd love to see your suggestion come to fruition - as long as the camera didn't cost as much as a compact car.:wink:

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi Ray
Is not the OVF the piece de resistance of the M series concept ie the OVF allows the best possible view of the highest clarity and the ability to follow a subject with precision hence its the Street shooting King.

And yes the Focal length of lenses is then limited by the OVF system .. the reason why the Nikon killed it in the end with the SLR.

If an EVF has been considered then it would have to be probably way better than the Panasonic G1 EVF or the E-P2 EVF both very good but nothing like an SLR OVF with a large Pentaprisim (not the awful ones in entry level DSLR's)

I recall seeing a reduced price a year back in Aus of $20,000 (Body only) a lot of hoot in a rapidly improving Technology where in a few years smaller sensors will be much improved.

Cheers

Glad Spring is here at last :smile:

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
It's an interesting idea, but for me the attraction of rangefinder cams is the OVF. Having said that, I do like the EVF on my G1. I'm waiting to look at the Fuji.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Hi Ray
Is not the OVF the piece de resistance of the M series concept ie the OVF allows the best possible view of the highest clarity and the ability to follow a subject with precision hence its the Street shooting King.

And yes the Focal length of lenses is then limited by the OVF system .. the reason why the Nikon killed it in the end with the SLR.

If an EVF has been considered then it would have to be probably way better than the Panasonic G1 EVF or the E-P2 EVF both very good but nothing like an SLR OVF with a large Pentaprisim (not the awful ones in entry level DSLR's)

I recall seeing a reduced price a year back in Aus of $20,000 (Body only) a lot of hoot in a rapidly improving Technology where in a few years smaller sensors will be much improved.

Cheers

Glad Spring is here at last :smile:

That's true and which is why I'm suggesting that Leica doesn't get rid of the OVF, but complements it with an EVF version. There's plenty of room to do so, once you remove the OVF mechanism. I think the current EVFs are pretty good, I really like the VF-2, and these are only going to get better with higher resolution etc.

Remember, Leica recognised the lens limitation by producing an adapter that effectively turned the M camera into an SLR, but that idea died in the ditch with the emergence of proper SLRs. An EVF would be a magic alternative for a lot of photographers. Oh, and you can now get the M9 for under AU$9000 new (that's how much my 90-250mm lens cost).

Cheers

Ray

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's true and which is why I'm suggesting that Leica doesn't get rid of the OVF, but complements it with an EVF version. There's plenty of room to do so, once you remove the OVF mechanism. I think the current EVFs are pretty good, I really like the VF-2, and these are only going to get better with higher resolution etc.

Remember, Leica recognised the lens limitation by producing an adapter that effectively turned the M camera into an SLR, but that idea died in the ditch with the emergence of proper SLRs. An EVF would be a magic alternative for a lot of photographers. Oh, and you can now get the M9 for under AU$9000 new (that's how much my 90-250mm lens cost).

Cheers

Ray

$9000 well thats better :smile: still I don't feel the need for FF as I don't pixel peep :wink: even so you can get a canon 5Dmk2 body for $2500 and there is selected L glass the canon of course would be far noisier (mirror slap) than the Leica if that's important.

(that's how much my 90-250mm lens cost) is this a Zuicko ??

I guess an EVF alternative in an M9 body as an alternative to the OVF is useful to some Photographer's ie accurate framing.

To me a top spec sensor in a Pen body makes more economic sense but then I'm not a Pro :wink:

Cheers Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
$9000 well thats better :smile: still I don't feel the need for FF as I don't pixel peep :wink: even so you can get a canon 5Dmk2 body for $2500 and there is selected L glass the canon of course would be far noisier (mirror slap) than the Leica if that's important.

(that's how much my 90-250mm lens cost) is this a Zuicko ??

I guess an EVF alternative in an M9 body as an alternative to the OVF is useful to some Photographer's ie accurate framing.

To me a top spec sensor in a Pen body makes more economic sense but then I'm not a Pro :wink:

Cheers Ray

The Canon is cheaper, but also a lot bigger. It depends on how/where one wants to use the camera.

The 90-250mm is the 4/3s zoom that I use with the E3.

If Olympus produced an EP-2 with a built in EVF, then I'll be a happy camper as well. While I like the VF2, I'm always worried that it'll fall off/ break off and I can't use a flash at the same time.

Cheers

Ray

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Canon is cheaper, but also a lot bigger. It depends on how/where one wants to use the camera.

The 90-250mm is the 4/3s zoom that I use with the E3.

If Olympus produced an EP-2 with a built in EVF, then I'll be a happy camper as well. While I like the VF2, I'm always worried that it'll fall off/ break off and I can't use a flash at the same time.

Ray

I agree Ray a built in EVF for the Pen would be great and agree the Plug-in EVF is a bit of an Appendage.

Pany fitted one on the G1 but its got that top "Bulge" whereas Oly wanted to echo the old Pen body, I do like the Pen body despite all.

I think it can be done (Built in EVF) it needs more LSI (Large scale intergration) of the electronic chips (look how small the Sony NEX is)

So I think the EP3 will have a top EVF bulge to preserve the large LCD and adequate buttons and wheel 4 way controller .. which works well.

But I do think the EP3 should get a large sensor IQ upgrade but think not it will be merely cosmetic feature upgrade ... major sensor way off yet.

Cheers

Latest threads

Top Bottom