An introduction to my blog articles on MFT

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rparmar, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I don't think many of you realise that I've been writing on the MFT system over on my blog, the Theatre of Noise. I hope it will not be considered spamming if I link to some items of interest here, especially as I am not selling anything! Except maybe knowledge. Some of these articles will be more useful to beginners while others get into the nitty gritty.

I am always interested in stirring up discussion and try not to be hidebound in my way of thinking. I started in digital SLRs with Pentax and was well-served by them for some time. But the desire for a more portable camera, plus the itch to try lenses from different systems, led me to MFT. You can't say I'm on the bleeding edge, but hopefully there is still something to learn from a late adopter.

A good place to start might be my Introduction To Micro Four Thirds and my recent Overview of the Olympus PEN Camera Range. I haven't had any experience with the Panasonic line, since I much prefer the PEN styling and consider IBIS crucial. However, I do have a few Panasonic lenses!

I started things off with a review of the E-P1, my first purchase only one year ago.

The most significant upgrade was the EVF, which I looked at in two parts:

My absolute favourite lens on my PEN is the Olympus G. Zuiko 40mm f/1.4. My reviews make no excuses for being subjective, but I do provide as many factual details as possible and even shoot test photos.

Speaking of tests, I have done two comparisons, in order to determine the IQ difference between systems.

I explain one of the biggest advantages of mirrorless cameras, their ability to take a multitude of lens systems through adapters, in a series of articles of which these are just two.

Those aren't the only articles, as I've been busy writing! (And shooting.) I hope all this is of use to you. I do get very nice comments from people I've helped, just as I am grateful for all the help I have received on this and other forums.

Stay tuned to my blog, through the RSS feed, as soon I will be trying out tilt adapters and even more exotic lenses. :)

And because I believe that every photo thread needs photos, here's a look at spring in Limerick City.

(Cross-posted to GetDPI though with a different image.)
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I read through a few of the articles. Nice work, some good info to be had there. There was one point in your E-PL2 vs E-P2 article on IQ that I disagreed with however. I noticed that you grouped the E-PL1 in with the E-P1 and E-P2, when the E-PL1 was the first Pen to introduce the lighter AA filter that lifted the camera's resolution above that of the E-P1/2.
  3. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention! I have fixed the two articles where I had misleading information.
  4. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

There are probably tens or hundreds of thousands of photography-related blogs online. No-one has the time to read them all. The ones that get read most often are the ones that stand out because of some unique or distinctive feature.

You have obviously put a lot of work into your blog and evidence of some past contact with the stone at the top of Blarney Castle is obvious. I found it mildly interesting but there wasn't anything distinctive to make me want to come back and read more.

If you feel you have something new and distinctive to offer, you need to make it more obvious. Otherwise, it's just another blog about photography to add to the huge number already out there.

I'm not intending to be critical. I know I have nothing unique or distinctive to offer, so I haven't bothered writing a blog about photography ... or anything else for that matter. There would be no point. :rolleyes:
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool blog, thanks for sharing.

To be honest, I find the articles abit text heavy..I think shorter posts might work better. Also the color scheme for the text is quite hard on the eyes imo. I like the shots from the Pen F lens..nifty.
  6. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Maybe it's just because I've been toying with buying a classic Pen 40mm myself, but I thought it was really useful. Thanks for sharing!
  7. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Yes, indeed, that's all it is! :smile:

The more the merrier, I figure, so long as the blog is well-written, well-argued, comes from a place of real connection with photography, isn't trying to sell anything, isn't obviously cheerleading for a particular brand,....

On the other hand, maybe there aren't a lot of blogs worth reading. I sure can't find many. :wink:

Some like what I have to say and the way I say it and show it. (I know this, because they tell me.) Your post really made it sound like it's a waste of time to even try. I will continue to live under the delusion that it isn't. :smile:
  8. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I'm not catering to the sound-bite generation. There are other sites for that. As it is I dislike having to break up articles into two or three parts, but I do this as a compromise.

I appreciate that a good percentage of people don't like light on dark schemes. Which is why the text is not stark white but grey.

But too many of my other sites are white. I got bored! And it's far too late (550+ articles) to change this one now.

Thank you for all the comments. Good to hear criticism.

Thanks. It's a great lens! I would like to get the Panasonic 45mm to compare but that might take a while.
    • Like Like x 1