1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

An interesting Pricing Anomaly over at ACDSee. . .

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by GBarrington, May 22, 2015.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I was looking for a "Not too expensive', 'Not too limited' and a 'Not too difficult' video editor that offered higher image quality than that freebie Chinese software I had downloaded, that was always trying to load assorted junk on my system which comes close to being called malware (not friendlyware that's for sure), and I settled on ACDSee Video Studio. This isn't the story, this is just background information.

Well, when I got to the ACDSee website. I saw that they were giving Video Studio away with the purchase of any one of their 3 main photo software products, ACDSee 18, ACDsee Pro 8, or ACDSee Ultimate 8. That's a common practice among Software vendors, but the weird thing is ACDSee 18 costs LESS than Video Studio. (ACDSee 18 $34.95 USD - Sale Price, Video Studio $39.95 USD - sale price)

Even though I already own ACDSee Ultimate 8, and already have the ACDSee functionality of ACDSee 18, I bought ACDSee 18 (and got Video Studio for free). I saved $5.00 and got both packages instead of one.

If you are looking for a sophisticated and pretty complete photo viewer/organizer that can function as a front end to Photoshop or PSP,(or gimp, Lightzone, or most other editors) AND you think you might want to explore video a bit, this might be something you want to look at.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    Thank you for the heads up.

3. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2012
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    Dave
    I can't find any reviews of Video Studio. How is it?

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

It is NOT a professional level editor, it is squarely aimed at the casual user who needs to do some light trimming, adding a sound track and concatenating more than one video into a larger single video.

It's pretty easy to use, and overall, I like it. Functionally it meets my needs. However, I'm having some trouble finding the settings for optimal output when I concatenate more than one video. The help file does a fairly good job in telling you how to manipulate the software, but offers NO help in trying to help you make intelligent decisions regarding settings.

I'm trying to create video tutorials using Snagit Screen capture, and the built in screen capture in Video studio. (V.S. is adequate for screen capture, but Snagit, offers far more features and is easier to use overall). I've been having trouble creating a long tutorial without making operational errors. So I got the idea that I would make the tutorial in smaller more controllable segments and then edit them together into the larger finished tutorial.

My problem is the sharpest concatenated videos seem to be distorted, i.e. stretched out horizontally while the settings that are properly formatted are a bit blurry. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't my editing software settings, but maybe my screen capture settings.

I tried asking for help in various video forums, but virtually everyone either wants to pimp for their favorite complex pro level software and telling me not to use "junk"; OR they tell me, "It sounds like your settings are wrong" {DUH!}.

5. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    I use windows live movie maker for these basic types of projects. Free and so easy to use it's astounding.

6. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    Also for making video alterations I use 'adapter', which is a GUI for ffmpeg.