An insult or a compliment?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sokar, Apr 10, 2013.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I was out today on the streets with my apparently "old & antiquated" EP1. At one point I walked past a few tourists sitting in an open bar, and heard one say to the others,

"Hey, have a look at the camera that guy is using. It must be 50 years old".

I recently added a black vented lens hood to the F2.8 Oly lens, and it must appear to others to be an old film camera. When I heard his comment, I laughed and kept walking.

Vintage_EP1.

Vintage_EP1-2.

Vintage_EP1-3.

2. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I don't think it was either...I think it was a simple observation...FWIW, your camera does have the old fashioned look to it, but so what, you were out and about taking photos...nuff said

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've gotten comments like that on my E-P1 with the same skin. Though when I put an adapted lens on, like an Industar-61 it really does look vintage...

4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    HI Swampduck,

I actually took it as a compliment. I have to admit that I did sit down later and have a look at my camera from a distance. I understand the confusion, especially with the lens hood and the black skin.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's one of the things that I love about the E-Px line, the retro look. It's a nice bonus added to all of the other great qualities. :cool:

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Retro is in, they must be too young to understand retro. Sadly I'm not.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    It gets worse.

What I hear is

"Hey, look at the geezer with the new :43: camera. He must be 70 years old."

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    That's not an insult, at least they think you still are up on tech. I'd take it as a complement.

9. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Isn't this the whole point of the pen/om-d/fuji series cameras? To look retro (old)? Works for me so no complaints there.

10. blinkbg

blinkbg Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's one of the big reasons I chose the EP-# models (EP-3) is the retro body style. I really haven't gotten that many comments, most of the time they don't even notice that I am carrying a camera till they hear the clicking, plus I rely on the LCD a lot so I shoot from the hip mostly. It truly is a wonderful street shooter and the body is "somewhat" customizable.

11. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I see it as a complement, frankly. And a bonus? Less likely to get stolen ; )

12. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Retro is so last year.

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    If it looks old and unassuming, people are less likely to think of stealing it and it will be dismissed more easily by viewers making it better for street shots - all plusses in my eye and in reality, the results speak louder than the means!

14. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    It's amazing what people will say about people who are obviously within hearing range.

I was carrying my G1-and-spotting-scope combination on vacation last week, and a guy within 50 feet of me called out to his whole large family group, "This guy over here's got a tripod!" Wuh?

15. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I think the Pens have great classic looks and yours is the archetype of the new digital Pen series, never sell it :D I should get it too as a second body :)

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. The E-P1 is a real classic especially kitted out as yours is with the black skin and the optical VF. The LAST thing I need is another body, but when I see the prices on the older PENs keep falling...

17. pdbphoto

pdbphoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    No doubt these same people must think the OM E5 is from the 1970's.

18. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's the time to whip out a spork and ask them to pose for ya!

19. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    My mother inlaw thought my GF1 was a film camera.:confused:

20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    When I was a kid (maybe 12), my parents and I were at a Youth Hostel in the Scottish Highlands. A young German couple commented (in German) rather unflatteringly about our appearance, our food, our bicycles and other things.

What they didn't know was that my mother is German, my father speaks German and even I had enough to pick up what was being said.

My parents said nothing. On the day the couple left, my mother quietly wished them - in perfect German - a wonderful holiday and a safe return home.

The resulting red faces were Velvia with added saturation!