An informal test

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 3, 2010.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a few sharp, fast lenses sitting around and I decided to see how they stacked up side by side in terrible lighting (and I was bored). This was by no means scientific and it was done really just on a whim.

It's winter and my house is pretty dim at night so I shot a few of my dog form approximately the same location (although he kept moving) with my Canon FD 50/1.4, Konica 50/1.4, Olympus PEN 40/1.4 and Konica 40/1.8. All the cameras were set to f2.8 and shot handheld with natural light. The focus point was the eye in each image. HERE is the link to the images (warning large files). I have to admit I was surprised at the results. I was disappointed at the Konica's performance (both of them), surprised by the Canon's and astonished by the Olympus PEN's.

As I said this was far from scientific and mostly I was just testing out the lenses to see how they would perform in dim lighting.

BTW...the Canon FD mount is a royal pain in the backside.
  2. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    There's nothing special about the images from the Konicas (other than being contrasty). The FD is sharp, very sharp. But overall I like the Pen-F lens the most. Its rendering is more beautiful than the others (I know it's subjective...)
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have to agree. Now, this wasn't the most scientific of tests but its turning out to be the same in everyday use. The Konicas are good but I find I am using the Olympus most of the time. Of course the Olympus was a lot more expensive a lens so I would expect as much. The Canon on the other had was a bit of a surprise. It's sharp but has a coolish looking color that I'm still not so sure about.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would recommend a tripod and a fixed target (e.g. tape the dog to the wall) to get more accurate results.
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think that would be pretty difficult. Roscoe is a pretty sleepy type and you know how heavy dead weight can be. I'm not sure duct tape would hold. I'll see what I can work out.