An experience of a hybrid photo wedding with different camera brands - amazed by the m.zuiko 45!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Ramirez, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just want to share about a wedding I did as a "hybrid photographer".

It was really fun to do with all the different aspects running on :smile:

My gear:

For video I used:
    Panasonic Lumix GH3 with Lumix G 12-35 f2.8 (and Rode Videomic Pro)
    Panasnoic Lumix G6 with Lumix 14 f2.5

For photography I used:
    Nikon D610 with Nikkor 50 f1.8G
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 with m.zuiko 45 f1.8
    Fujifilm X100s with Wide Conversion Lens (about 28mm/35 eq,)

The preparation:

I had my two Panny video cams on tripods; one pointing at the couple, one at the priest.

The three "photo" cams I had on me.

The work during the wedding ceremony:

I just had to time the Pannys so they recorded the whole wedding. I put all the settings right before the wedding ceremony began.
    It turned out that I didn't even have to start the recordings again as the ceremony was about 20 minutes.

The photo cameras I operated as photographers normally do :smile:
    I used the Fuji for the wide shots, Nikon for the "normal" view and OM-D when I wanted to get closer (45mm is a great portrait lens!).

The work during the party afterwards:

No video business here. Just photography.
    I used all my "photo" cams here! The Fuji a lot due to its convenience and retro look; it didn't scare away people!
    The Fuji X100s was my "blending" in unnoticed camera.

For the more formal parts I used the Nikon with the 50 and Oly with the 45.

It was a blast! A lot of fun!

A tip for all photographers that's gonna do a wedding - have fun - people get relaxed when they see you enjoy it.
    A blend of professionalism and fun is the real hybrid deal!

My conclusions afterwards:

When I saw may photos and edited them I was just amazed by the photos taken by the m.zuiko 45!
    I must say that the Oly combination really gave beautiful photos; not a lot behind the Nikon photos.
    Sometimes the Oly was plain better then the Nikon - the times when I wanted more in focus and still needed wide aperture!
    When I wanted bokeh - then the Nikon is the choice.

But the m.zuiko 45 really gives that great look!

Settings I used:

I didn't use flash as I don't like flash and I don't master flash photography yet. I'm most comfortable with natural lights.
    That means of course that I need fast glas (that I have) and sometimes high ISO.

I set all the cameras on auto ISO (here are the max numbers/ the roof) :

Nikon to ISO6400 (works with some noice reduction in post - but the 50 f1.8 meant that many times the ISO numbers where lower)
    Fujifilm X100s to ISO3200
    Olympus to ISO1600

Every camera was set on RAW.

The shutter speeds needed to be quite fast when shooting people as to me blurry pics aren't preferable, noise is easier to take care of than blurry pics!
    Shutterspeeds around 1/160s was quite enough on many occasions.

Stationary items like rings, cake etc - lower shutter speeds.

My last conclusions:

I should have used E-M5 with m.zuiko 45 even more! This combination gave me stunning images!

It really works to work with different brands at the same time! You use every camera for it's strengths;
    Nikon for the bokeh, Oly for more DOF at wider apertures, X100s to really melt behind the scenes with it's quiet shutter.

As long as you work with RAW and you learn these different cameras you are ok.

And the videos from the Pannys turned out very well too. Editing in Final Cut Pro, cutting from both cameras.

I can't share these photos but I wanted to share the experience of a "hybrid" wedding shoot!

Added info:

For m4/3 you really need f1.8 lenses or faster for photography if you donĀ“t use flashes.
    For video the f2.8 and f2.5 lenses were enough.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    As saying goes, whatever floats your boat. Glad that u found your preferred shooting style though not many people have access to that many cameras.

I shot events with 2 cameras at most because of the weight, even though I have 4 cameras.
  3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yep. It depends of course on shooting style.
    If I'd work primary on photography I wouldn't need this mix of cameras I have now.
    But I'm doing both videography and photography at the same time as a "one man band".
    That is the package I offer my clients. There are many good photographers in my area so I've tried to build up my thing as a full "hybrid" photographer; offering both video and photos in the same deal.

I don't know if this makes me "half-baked"; but I enjoy this way of working and the clients have been happy and have recommended me to others. I haven't had a commercial out yet and still the customers comes. I'm happy about that.

From each event I learn more about this way of working.

Right now the flow is:

Two Pannys for video on tripods
    2-3 cameras on me for photography

Final Cut Pro X for video editing and Aperture for photo editing (probably need to change to Lightroom as Apple is abandoning Aperture).

I offer full video films from events, eProducts (the blend of photos and video) and still photos.

Maybe the most important thing I found out when working with clients is that it is the way "you are" with them that is the most important. It is not only the quality of the products but the way you communicate with them; the blend of professionalism and inner happiness of your work that really reaches out to them.
    I would never do this if I wouldn't enjoy it!
  4. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I learnt something new. By the way, you don't find the 2 tripods getting in the way for you and the guests? Like distraction or eye sore? Not afraid being stolen or tripped over? The angle and focal length all static, will it be boring?
  5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I am always early on before the whole thing starts. I always find great spots for the tripods, great angles and away from the guests. Always planning beforehand how I can reach it all.
    Never failed yet.

I "make" the video afterwards in Final Cut Pro X. I make all the "zooming" there, and blending of the two cams. The GH3 and G6 has great video quality so I can "zoom" in a little by cropping the video frame in some parts of the movie.
    Sometimes I go by the video cams during the ceremony and maybe zoom in a little with the 12-35. As I have two cameras rolling I can for instance move one of them a little to get another aspect. That portion then is covered by the other camera.

Sometimes I even use my Nikon D610 as third camera to get a third aspect in. I can always stabilize those clips from the Nikon in Final Cut Pro later.

So really; all the final touches are made in Final Cut Pro X.

It never gets boring :smile:
    I like working with the cameras but I love the editing later on!
  6. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Your service really sounds good value for money.