An EVIL First: Panasonic Lumix DMC G1

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
Panasonic introduced the first micro four-thirds camera and lenses way back in 2008. This little devil was definitely EVIL! Read about this breakthrough camera by clicking here >>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bLj0xncj6UT2hTazBJVUFLd3c/view?usp=sharing
for my PDF.
capped%20facing%20left%20LoRes.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you are a lens hacker or want to try lens hacking, this is for you!
noseviewLoRes.jpg

Last edited:

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
There seem to be very few mirror lenses that are worth more than novelty value.

I have the Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm ƒ8 mirror, which is outstanding as mirrors go, but it is still lower contrast than refracting lenses of this range. But it is sharp, which many of the mirrors are not, and I can pump up the contrast in post processing.

I find the strange bokeh distracting for anything but point sources, which come out as the classic mirror-lens doughnuts. But anything else out-of-focus in the background looks fussy, jumbled, and distracting.

It's nice to take along when you don't have space for something very long. With IBIS, you can easily hand-hold it. But if I'm looking for image quality, I go for my OM Zuiko 600/6.5.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I've used both 500mm f6.3 & 600mm f8 mirror lenses on my MFT cameras as well as a Newtonian telescope. I'm not sure if any of these where used with my G1 (which is now my daughter's) but results from all of them have been very impressive considering the price! (The 500 was free!)

A good sturdy tripod is fairly essential for such focal lengths a 1000mm+ focal length is not practical for hand holding. However with reasonably well lit subjects and the addition of a focal reducer hand holding is possible (the reducer makes the 600 into a 900mm f5.6 equivalent rather than the 1200mm f8 equivalent). Focusing also needs care!

This moon shot was with the 600 on a focal reducer handheld but well braced :)
21782869322_f488577fc4_c.jpg
Supermoon pre-eclipse by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Mirror lens have the added advantage of minimal chromatic aberration, rather important when using a full spectrum camera such as here:

20004509688_a25c1af8e9_c.jpg
FS test - Reflex + focal reducer by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Bokeh can be an issue though - I'm not keen on what it's done to the waves!

Latest threads

Top Bottom