1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

an ancient tree

Discussion in 'Nature' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 17, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 11
  2. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Trees can be incredible.
    This yew is 10,000 years old:
    [​IMG]
    It's in a wee village in the Scottish highlands.

Imagine our ancestors in 8000BC

3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Is that the 'Fortingall Yew? If so I hate to burst your bubble but recent research would suggest it's about 2000 years old - still mighty impressive but not quite 10,000 :wink:

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd be damn careful with wikipedia and trees... Having just done a heap of searching I've found various Wikipedia articles to say at least 5 different trees are the oldest on the planet :confused: 

In the same article they say there's a clump of Huon Pines in Tasmania with individual specimens believed to be 3-4000yrs old, but then none of them are listed in the individual list, despite some of the listed specimens being as young as 1500...

Wikipedia, gotta love it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Agreed - it was just a convenient link, and the core samples and actual data ARE true

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    My "big ol' tree" image from 2004 (check out people & benches in lower left!), and the wiki story - massive and old, but its age estimates cover a mighty big range!

Oaxaca%2520069.

Arbol_del_Tule near Oaxaca MX

Love your pine image though, cameras have come a long way since my '04 Kodak L443...

8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    That is a rather big trunk! From what I can gather it gets hard to get a solid age for older trees because as the heart-wood dies it becomes impossibly to get an accurate core sample for growth-rings. Apparently when they aged the Huons' I mentioned, they used a sample of pollen from the sediment layers in a nearby lake - buggered if I know how that works...

For those interested - the Pencil Pine I posted a picture of isn't actually a pine at all, it's more closely related to the sequoias of North America. The 'pine' part of the common name is just another example of early Europeans trying to create a point of reference to home.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
  10. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Beautiful shots! Well done!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.