an ancient tree

Discussion in 'Nature' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 17, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 11
  2. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Trees can be incredible.
    This yew is 10,000 years old:
    [​IMG]
    It's in a wee village in the Scottish highlands.

Imagine our ancestors in 8000BC

3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Is that the 'Fortingall Yew? If so I hate to burst your bubble but recent research would suggest it's about 2000 years old - still mighty impressive but not quite 10,000 :wink:

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd be damn careful with wikipedia and trees... Having just done a heap of searching I've found various Wikipedia articles to say at least 5 different trees are the oldest on the planet :confused:

In the same article they say there's a clump of Huon Pines in Tasmania with individual specimens believed to be 3-4000yrs old, but then none of them are listed in the individual list, despite some of the listed specimens being as young as 1500...

Wikipedia, gotta love it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Agreed - it was just a convenient link, and the core samples and actual data ARE true

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    My "big ol' tree" image from 2004 (check out people & benches in lower left!), and the wiki story - massive and old, but its age estimates cover a mighty big range!

Oaxaca%2520069.

Arbol_del_Tule near Oaxaca MX

Love your pine image though, cameras have come a long way since my '04 Kodak L443...

8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    That is a rather big trunk! From what I can gather it gets hard to get a solid age for older trees because as the heart-wood dies it becomes impossibly to get an accurate core sample for growth-rings. Apparently when they aged the Huons' I mentioned, they used a sample of pollen from the sediment layers in a nearby lake - buggered if I know how that works...

For those interested - the Pencil Pine I posted a picture of isn't actually a pine at all, it's more closely related to the sequoias of North America. The 'pine' part of the common name is just another example of early Europeans trying to create a point of reference to home.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
  10. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Beautiful shots! Well done!