An Amusing Tale...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Zariell, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    As I have read the forums I of course have seen alot of the this is better than that, etc, and it made me remember a story from a few years ago.

A local camera company had a great idea to sell more cameras, they wanted to create a competition which would put a point and shoot basic camera in the hands of a master photographer, and put a guy just used to shooting with a point in shoot, a whole ton of professional gear, the thought was that the gear would in fact win over skill, and this would inspire the average man on the street to rush out to be the most impressive selection of cameras, and that of course would be money in the bank to them since they sold much less high end than they did low end...

Well they find a master photographer willing, and they find Johnny Everman who is willing to give this competition a go. The day arrives, they outfit the professional with a low end PS camera (Alas I can't remember the one but it was a slow non zoom type) to our other man, they gave him a Canon 1D, Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon flash, professional tripod, and even give him a guide to explain how in fact to use this tank of a camera.

The two men, then went about the same places and were told to bring back 12 photographs. Well after a day, our tired competitors arrive back at the camera store, the cards are downloaded, and the pictures brought up to see the results...

It is here where something funny happens, our Hero the professional photographer's shots are all works of art, while he was hampered only by the resolution of the PS sensor, he managed to take shots that were amazing, the colors, the focus, even when he stated he had to do extreme things to get the shots. So now our Camera shop friends are getting a little worried, so we move onto the other side, with fingers crossed they opened the files, and got 12 shots that were utter crap, he missed focus on a good portion, he took photographs that were framed badly, all in all an utter mess. Needless to say our Camera shop friends were not pleased, and their plans of course didn't pan out, although looking ahead to now, I've seen alot more people who should have a PS, using camera gear that is in the thousands, just because a store said it would make them take incredible pictures.

The moral of this tale is a simple one, gear is great, technology is a plus, but if you don't take the time to learn the fundamentals of the craft, you might as well just use all that fancy gear as a paperweight...

Or in cowboy terms, it doesn't matter what kind of pistol you packing, its who shoots fastest and straight that counts... :p

• Like Like x 4
  2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Thanks for the story, good read and predictable for me since my journey has led me to the same conclusions.

Composition is king.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    That reminds me of the "Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera" challenge episodes on Digital Rev TV (on YouTube) - a camera really is just a tool for capturing a certain vision, and if you have the right skills you can get a lot out of limited tools.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Then, of course, there's the good photographer with the good camera :)43: certainly!). :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    • Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Very true, but it's hard to shoot straight with a short barrel POS Saturday Night Special.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Of course it is, I can hit the bullseye square on the center with my derringer that has no barrel to speak of, I just have to stand six inches from the target is all. ;P