1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

An African safari.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by FlyLo, Jul 29, 2013.

1. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don
    Hi everyone,

I recently stayed at an amazing lodge within Addo Elephant Park, South Africa - Gorah Elephant Camp, for those interested.
    Addo is SA's 3rd largest park, with an area of 1640 km2 and contains all of Africas Big 5.

Accomodation was a tent. I use the term "tent" loosely, as it wasn't the sort of tent that Hillary took to Everest. On both mornings we were woken up at 7am by the low frequency roars of a lion, who was probably asking his mate if he'd seen any breakfast :eek:. I'm not sure how far away he was, could've been 20m could've been 200m. Either way it's a bit unnerving when there's nothing to stop him from ripping through the walls. I was assured by our guide that although the walls are canvas, the animals still see it as a solid object, and hence won't try to break through. Great! :thumbup:

There's nothing quite like enjoying breakfast while watching a lion drink from a watering hole just 40 meters away. No fences!! I can confidently say I was ****ting myself.

I used a SML Pentax-M 135mm f2.5 adapted to my OMD - thanks for the loan dad! A Panasonic 20mm and the Olympus 14-42mm. It was a bit tricky using manual focus with the 135mm because the animals are constantly moving, either away from or towards you. But I snapped a few good ones in the end.

I hope you enjoy! :drinks:

Cheers, Don.

drive1_zpsf32e2a90.

ele3_zps4170cfd2.

ele1_zps79d412b9.

ele2_zps5aed98a0.

zebs_zpsd6dafc12.

drive_zps70fd68b5.

lion4_zps4ef988cf.

lion_zps79da5a42.

lion2_zpsf18e0b23.

lion3_zpsc3351544.

lunch_zpsa88159eb.

porch-2_zpsbb434ecc.

boma_zps49c1fa5b.

drinks_zpsd78e3820.

view_zpsae7efefb.

night_zpsf2090590.

lodge1_zps7177bde1.

tent1_zps5b3f1fcb.

tent2-2_zpsab6d34ce.

view-2_zps351a7851.

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Great series and looks to have been quite exhilarating! Great "tent" accommodations (my idea of fine camping)

3. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Those are some very nice tents!!!

Awesome stuff!!!

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice work Don, really like those lion shots in particular...and the view from that deck, wow, could certainly watch the sun go down with a cold beer there.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I did one of those back in 1999 and I used film(!!!). An amazing experience. All good shots, but the second lion shot is amazing.

7. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don
    Thanks for the kind words guys, the lion shots are my pick of the bunch too :smile:
    They were taken with the 135mm which seemed to perform very well in bright conditions, not so good in lower light though (2nd and 4th elephant shots).

Being out in the wilderness, it really put things into perspective just how physically inferior humans are!
    Haha, thank goodness we have our superior intelligence - some humans anyway :biggrin:

Cheers, Don.

8. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Lovely!!!

9. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Scotland, Iceland and now Africa on the bucket travel list ... I'm gonna have to retire soon to do all this travel photography ..:smile:
    How close were the lions ?

10. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    x2 :thumbup:

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I concur! :smile:

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing.

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Amazing shots Don. Looks like you had a blast! The lions shots are stunning. Love the elephants as well.

14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Very nice work, it looks like you had a great time!

15. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Nice pics, makes me want to go again.
    I was sleeping in this tent last time i was there, and also got woken up in the middle of the night by lions roar :p
    Serengeti_14__.

16. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don
    Hi Rob, in the first shot they were about 100m away, the second only about 10m. He carried on walking towards us and stopped behind the spare wheel of the Landrover, where he stood still for about a minute. It was pretty intense. They were hunting a herd of Kudu, unfortunately we didn't see them take anything down.

You're much more of a man than I'll ever be mate! haha. I've seen what a cat can do to a mouse! :wink:

Thank you to everyone for all the positive feedback, it was an awesome experience.
    This is one of the things on my bucket list I'm going to have to do more than once, and I hope you have the opportunity to do the same. :smile:

Cheers, Don.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - cool tent, beautiful set! :2thumbs: