amusement park.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nikko, Jul 28, 2014.

1. nikko

nikko New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2014
    Oslo
    Nikolai
    Hi everybody.

First sorry for my english.

I am the happy owner off a omd em1 camera.
    I have the 12-50mm kit lens. That works well in the daytime.
    But now me and my fammily is gong to a amusement park in
    Gothenburg and I rally want to have som good lens options.
    (I have ordered the O40-150 mm cuz I fond a super price.)

In the evening it is gong to be a consert with snoop d.d.
    That i want to photograph.

The lenses I was planning on is one or two ofte these.

Oly 25mm 1.8
    Oly 45mm 1.8
    Oly 75mm 1.8*
    Oly 60mm 2.8

* Can only afford this alone.

Hope somebody Can help me or point me in the right direction.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The show lights will probably be enough to allow you to shoot the 40-150 zoom on your EM1 at 1/240 and ISO 3200-6400. Shoot in RAW+JPG, use spot meter, and use noise reduction software if the grain bothers you. You will probably have to dial down the EV a bit too, because the spot lights usually overpower the metering, The primes will allow you to drop the ISO. They are sharper and have better contrast.

The 45 and 75 would be the lenses I would want. Trouble is, the 75 is pretty expensive for this one of a kind shooting. Meanwhile, the 25 and 45 are good lenses to own if you are going with primes. I would prioritize those two lens first. . By the way, I have the 20mm, 45mm, and a third party manual focus 85mm. I use the latter two to get concert pix. Another thing you can do is try the 2X DTC setting.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The 45mm is an excellent lens, one of the :43: classics - definitely worth owning. I prefer the Panasonic 25mm as it is a bit faster than the Olympus at f1.4 and has very nice micro contrast. It has good feel and balances well on my E-P3. If you enjoy macro photos the 60mm is a fine lens and will give you a good short telephoto lens. Welcome to the forum!

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Without knowing more about what you like or want to shoot, here are my random thoughts/advice = get the 25 and 45 primes, unless you really want to get into macro in which I'd vote 25 and 60.

The 12-50 and 40-150 have you covered for general daylight snapshots. I agree that the 40-150 will probably be decent for the concert too as long as you push the ISO up and turn on the IBIS. The 12-50 is probably more practical for a day with the family at the amusement park so you don't have to swap lenses.

If you don't need to shoot a lot of macro or don't need to get down to 1:1, it seems like the "macro" mode of the 12-50 does a good job for close-up shots of flowers, butterflies, etc.

The 25 and 45 would give you options for shooting in low light or to give more subject isolation/narrow depth of focus over the zoom. Have you shot enough with the 12-50 to know you prefer the 25mm focal length over the 17mm? You might consider the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 pair instead.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah, use your new 40-150 and RAW+Jpeg incase the lighting colours throw your whitebalance too far off

but

give this idiot a miss
    :eek: