1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

amsterdam

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by irelach1, Apr 26, 2012.

1. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    hi i would like to share a few photos of my recent trip to amsterdam im new to photography and would like some feedback on what you think of the pictures they are all shot on the panasonic 14mm with a epl1 thanks for looking

P4240946 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Irelach1,

My wife and I got stranded in Amsterdam for a night a couple years back when we missed a connection due to a minor plane crash at the airport we were leaving from (Barcelona, extremely rainy, some plane's front landing gear buckled and it nosed into the grass, or went into the grass then buckled). What a fun city to be stranded it; if only we actually had some Euro to spend that night! I've been to the three places in your pictures; all really interesting things to stumble upon unplanned. :)

For the first and third images, I would just reconsider the composition. For the first, maybe it would be more interesting if the sculpture wasn't smack in the middle of the image, but more along the Rule of Thirds framing. If you had it slightly more to the right of your frame, then perhaps you would have been able to show more of the square. For the third photo, I would make sure your horizon is level (it very well might be, but looks a tad tilted to the right to me), and equal out the amount of building on the right as the left so that it is more symmetrical and highlighting the focus of the carnival. You could either do that through cropping, or stepping a little to the left so you're in the middle of the street.

For the Ferris wheel... I'd go with a long exposure (on a tripod likely, or resting on something) while the wheel is turning to get the lights to blur into a wheel.

Just my thoughts. Photography is a very personal thing, so just do whatever your eye naturally gravitates towards.

3. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks for your comments i have only just started in photograpy and will take your comments on board all the pictures have not been touched so might play around with them