AmEx points at Amazon

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
This isn't really a "deal", just something I hadn't realized before.

You can use your AmEx rewards points at Amazon. I was just fooling around at Amazon testing the Air bundle deal and when I went to Checkout, there was an option to use my AmEx rewards points. They would have been worth $600 in value towards my purchase, reducing the cost of a Pro lens from $1300 to $700.

That seemed like a good value for AmEx points which often aren't worth good value. I wish I'd noticed long ago.

Any other places that enable use of AmEx points?

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
How does one see if they have points accrued at AmEx? I am looking at my account and cannot see any links for them? Then again, I have an Optima card, so they may not be available.

--Ken

techsplorer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rodion "Rod" Molina
As long as you have an eligible AMEX card registered on your account for payment, then the points option should be available during checkout.

On a related note, I've found that for point redemption value, Home Depot gift cards (either physical or e-card versions) are great values: $100 for every 10,000 points (1 point = $0.01). Unfortunately, they don't sell any camera gear there :(

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Any other places that enable use of AmEx points?

Can't you just redeem the points as a statement credit for that month? That way the points are technically good anywhere.

That's what I can do with my Chase rewards (along with actually using them to pay for items directly on Amazon).

tm3

Mu-43 Regular
Do the points work out to a better deal than the cash back Blue Amex card?

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
Can't you just redeem the points as a statement credit for that month? That way the points are technically good anywhere.

That's what I can do with my Chase rewards (along with actually using them to pay for items directly on Amazon).
yes, but with Amazon you get whatever price/sale/promotion is available on anything Amazon sells. I haven't found redeeming points with Amex rewards to be the greatest value, or the available selection of items to be the best. At Amazon, the points seemed to have more value. I haven't done a scientific comparison, but I thought 80k points for $660 towards purchase was pretty good.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
yes, but with Amazon you get whatever price/sale/promotion is available on anything Amazon sells. I haven't found redeeming points with Amex rewards to be the greatest value, or the available selection of items to be the best. At Amazon, the points seemed to have more value. I haven't done a scientific comparison, but I thought 80k points for $660 towards purchase was pretty good.

With Chase, 1 point is $0.01, so the 80k points would be equivalent to $800.

If what you say about the AmEx points is true, that's certainly not a good deal, at least compared to what some other cards will give you regarding reward point redemption.

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
With Chase, 1 point is $0.01, so the 80k points would be equivalent to $800.

If what you say about the AmEx points is true, that's certainly not a good deal, at least compared to what some other cards will give you regarding reward point redemption.
I'm not commenting on which card. With Chase and others if you don't pay off your balance every month you come out behind. AmEx doesn't have that issue since its not a revolving credit account.

Regardless, all I meant in mentioning this feature at Amazon is that it was a nice surprise to be able to use AmEx points at Amazon and for AmEx points, it was good value.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I'm not commenting on which card. With Chase and others if you don't pay off your balance every month you come out behind. AmEx doesn't have that issue since its not a revolving credit account.

Regardless, all I meant in mentioning this feature at Amazon is that it was a nice surprise to be able to use AmEx points at Amazon and for AmEx points, it was good value.

Ah true, that may be something I hadn't thought of since I pay my card balance in full each month. That's the reason I went with the card I did in the first place, as it offered the best cash-back, and since I would be using the card like a debit card, I figured why not get paid for spending money I was going to spend anyway?

Regardless of whatever card you have, yes it is nice to be able to directly use the rewards you've accumulated to purchase items on Amazon.

sbuntin

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Scott Buntin

I think the statement credit would have the same effect. Order anywhere, taking advantage of whatever offers are available, and redeem points to pay the amex bill (I believe these are credited at .01/point).

Double-dipping is also possible, if you shop at stores available through the membership rewards portal (or SW's rapid rewards, or Citi Thank you, etc). Note that I'm referring to affiliate links via reward sites, NOT purchasing from reward catalogs - those are always overpriced.

Latest threads

Top Bottom