America in Colr: 1939-1943

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by oris642, Nov 19, 2010.

1. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's an incredible set of photographs. Only a few probably quality as "great photographs" in any artistic sense, but the documentary value of stuff like this is just overwhelming. Color photos were obviously relatively rare in those days. Now they're ubiquitous. I wonder how people will view photographs from today (when there are so many zillions of them around) in another 70-80 years. Just seeing the differences in products, landscapes, homes, clothes, EVERYTHING is fascinating.

3. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Great stuff and very interesting. It is weird to see colour photos from that far back. My eyes are so used to the old black and white images.

Thanks for sharing!
  4. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    this was a great set of photos to look through. really fascinating. not to mention some really good skills have been put into these shots. beautiful works
  5. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    Wow excellent stuff, I love the style of these photos. Ta for sharing
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love old photos in general....especially just plain old "slice of life" snapshots like these. What really strikes me about them is the work I go to to make my photos look like this (color-wise) and they get it straight out of the camera....LOL.
  7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great site for old photos

Shorpy Historic Photo Archive | Vintage Fine Art Prints

Not sure if this site is known, but it's a great site for old photos scanned a very high resolution. If you download the "high resolution" version, you can easily enlarge to a 5x7 using Photoshop's resize. It also offers a great search engine.