AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz upgrade to i5 3470 3.2GHz - brief report

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidanw, Oct 9, 2013.

1. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I upgraded my AMD Phenom system to an Intel i5 system.
    Both the Phenom and i5 are quad-core (without hyperthreading) and 3.2GHz (although the i5 has turbo to 3.6GHz).

I replaced the motherboard and CPU only.
    There are 2x 4GB sticks of DDR3 1333 RAM so 8GB total. I have 3 SATA drives.

A basic performance test of creating 1:1 previews for 21 Olympus 16mp RAW files:
    AMD - 141 sec
    Intel - 80 sec

That's a 76% performance increase. Windows does not feel much faster, but Lightroom definitely does.

I had a limited budget and am very happy with the improvement in speed which is particularly on zooming in 100% and moving between photos.
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    I had the same X4 820, upgraded to i5 4670K, Lightroom is SO FAST now.
  3. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I thought AMD can't be that much slower given similar clock speed and quad-core. Maybe they are similar for other tasks. But in Lightroom the difference is night and day. Glad yours is running faster too!
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    It's known that Intel's got better efficiency yet higher price. I built my "old" PC in 2010 with AMD Phenom II X4 925 and overclocked to 3.4GHz, upgraded to SSD and AMD HD7750 discrete graphics card (for the opencl capability to accelerate DXO optics pro raw development) during the last few years. There are much faster machines consuming less power now I know, but I feel no need to spend money on that as long as this one is still good enough, and noiseless (yes, all my PCs are, :p)

edit: I don't even think DxO Optics Pro is half as fast as LR but it offers more optimised results to my eye, due to it's more complex analysis on each image. With opencl enabled I'm able to get about 70% time saved with this video card, not even fully utilised due to still early stage of opencl development, hope we can have LR taking the advantage.
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    And there you have the benefits of a significantly better processor microarchitecture. There's a reason most people go with Intel - clock for clock, it is worth about 2 AMD cores (which is what you've found here). The newer Bulldozer 8 cores are generally around the same speed as the quad core i5s unless you have an app that keeps all 8 cores fully busy (video encoding) where the AMD part then shows the intel part a clean pair of heels.

Long gone are the days when AMD competed on performance - it's now purely on price.
    • Like Like x 1