Ambling around DC - Formerly "DC in the Snow"

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Got a nice bit of snow in DC and decided to take a few photos around the mall, mainly the Lincoln, WWII, and Jefferson Memorials.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R1130051 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

R1130057 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

R1130066 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

R1130071 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

R1130085 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

R1130093 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

R1130119 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

DSCF2846 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hoped to get a few more photos of snow covered trees, but there was not much. I did enjoy some nice reflections though. :)

DSCF3323 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

DSCF3310 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Attachments

Last edited:

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Got a bit of snow in DC but a lot of cold and ice, so obviously I had to go out and take photos! :biggrin:

All these photos are from around the Tidal Basin. Almost completely frozen over except for this corner.
DSCF4160 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

DSCF4167 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Do I feel lucky? Well yes I do, I placed the camera and tripod directly on the ice to take the photo above.

R2020046 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Heard some geese but took me a while to figure out where they were...
R2020035 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Every now and then I need to remind myself of how good the IS is on Olympus cameras: 0.8sec with a 45mm lens. :biggrin:
R2020049 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Off to meet with my latest informer...

We might have scared off someone...
R2020094 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Paid a visit to the Hirshorn museum on my way home. There was only one exhibit that really fascinated me: Pulse by Rafael Lozano-Hemmer.

It's a three-part interactive exhibit: the first projects fingerprints on the wall. Any visitor can have a finger print scanned and it becomes part of the exhibit. I can only wonder how many kids scanned their middle fingers just for laughs. Anyhow I didn't connect with it, seemed gross like naked old people. Sorry, no photos. Or maybe, 'you're welcome'.

Exhibit 2/3 was more interesting, quote: "Sensors turn your pulse into ripples on illuminated water tanks, creating ever-changing patterns that are reflected on the gallery walls." Okay, we're going somewhere now.

P2130032 by MassimoVSR, on Flickr

And finally 3/3: Pulse Room. "featuring hundreds of clear, incandescent light bulbs hanging from the ceiling in even rows, pulsing with the heartbeats of past visitors. You can add your heartbeat to the installation by touching a sensor, which transmits your pulse to the first bulb. Additional heartbeats continue to register on the first bulb, advancing earlier recordings ahead one bulb at a time. The sound of the collected heartbeats join the light display to amplify the physical impact of the installation."

Brought back memories of my late teens, getting early at the club before all the cool people, when it was nearly empty and dancing like an idiot by yourself. :D Except this was good.

The camera struggled to focus, but before switching to manual it did grab a shot. I think the out of focus image does better to capture the ambient than focused images.

Peek behind the curtain of focus and reality isn't as fascinating.

It is fascinating to grab the handles and watch how your heart rate affects the current pattern. :biggrin:

Hope this was interesting or maybe entertaining. If not, sorry for wasting your time. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Made it to the Freer|Sackler (Asian Art) gallery today.

On the Sackler side there's an ongoing exhibit on Buddhism across Asia with some beautiful statues and beautiful videos (on three separate screens) of Sri Lanka's Great Stupa.

P2280121 by MassimoVSR

The Freer has a nice little courtyard that's open to the public and is really enjoyable when the trees (finally) blossom in the spring.

As for this statue? I just want to take it home with me.
P2280134 by MassimoVSR

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for featuring this thread, totally stoked!

Got lucky with the sunrise on my way to work, all from around the Jefferson Memorial / Tidal Basin.

View attachment 725318IMG_0294 by MassimoVSR

View attachment 725319IMG_0307 by MassimoVSR

View attachment 725320IMG_E0314 by MassimoVSR
Nice shots of the Jefferson Memorial. I particularly like the framing where you can see the statue.

I plan on hitting the cherry blossoms this year. I'll have to find that vantage point.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice shots of the Jefferson Memorial. I particularly like the framing where you can see the statue.

I plan on hitting the cherry blossoms this year. I'll have to find that vantage point.
Thanks!

You can walk all around the Tidal Basin [google maps], plenty of spots for nice photos. I took the first shot near the boats and the latter two near the Roosevelt Memorial.

If you can get there early since the place get's packed with visitors and parking can be problematic.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks!

You can walk all around the Tidal Basin [google maps], plenty of spots for nice photos. I took the first shot near the boats and the latter two near the Roosevelt Memorial.

If you can get there early since the place get's packed with visitors and parking can be problematic.
I live in Northern VA. I've been to see the blossoms a few times. Once I arrived before sunrise.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom