1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AMAZON WARRANTY QUERY Olympus lens UK

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I bought an expensive lens in a Boxing Day lightning deal from Amazon.co.uk
    It is an Olympus 40 - 150 f2.8 pro which I got complete with an MC14 teleonverter for £904.00 with postage (a saving of £292.00)
    I was lucky in apparently purchasing the last example before the price returned to the normal £1092.00
    It astonishingly arrived today MONDAY 28/12/15 ! Via Hermes
    I expected the lens to be UK supplied and therefore come with the Olympus UK 2 year warranty
    However it arrived with a sticker on the outside 'Polyphoto S.P.A.' And two Warranty Validation cards (not stamped or completed) inside from the same company (Polyphoto Based in Italy) along with an Olympus Europa Warranty card
    Looking at the Amazon purchase confirmation it states sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.l
    Does anyone have any experience with buying Olympus items from Amazon.co.uk
    I need to know what Warranty I get with the lens (looking at the Olympus Europa website does not help) and how it works in this scenario
    What happens in the event of a Warranty Claim - I wouldn't want to have to send the lens for Warranty via Italy and am hoping that in the event of a Warranty claim that I would need only to return it to Amazon UK or an Olympus UK service centre
    Any help and advice from someone here with knowledge would be greatly appreciated
    I don't usually spend so much on an item so don't usually worry about such things and only bought it now because of the huge saving having eyed this lens up for a possible distant future purchase when prices dropped
    This saving would be meaningless if I ended up with a fault and no warranty cover
    Many thanks in anticipation
    Regards
    Rob

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi Rob, I can tell you my experience. I live in Italy and I bought the camera on amazon.co.uk. After a year and a half the shutter broke and I brought it to an italian olympus repair center. From the website I understood that for the first year I had a global international warranty, while for the second year I had a "local" one only. This changed on september 2014, after I got the camera, and I think that today you have only a European warranty service.

Warranty Regulation - Olympus

I was in the second year and the shop too was unsure about the situation. I contacted Polyphoto, the company that provides Olympus services in Italy, and they told me I could send the camera for repair. The camera was fixed and I was charged, by the shop, only for the shipping (I did not expect this but...).
    I do not remember any reference to Polyphoto on the warranty and I think the warranty certificate was not filled in (right now I cannot find it).

So I suppose that you can bring the camera to any repair center, I'd ask Olympus for confirmation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Olympus Europa is the organisation that is above all the individual Olympus European country operations. So the warranty is for all of Europe. UK is part of Europe. Are you quite sure it doesn't say "European Service Warranty on it? I think it will.

• Like Like x 1
  4. milamber

milamber New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2015
    Easiest thing to do is simply register the lens on the Olympus UK website by entering the serial number. That will confirm the warranty instantly and, if you subscribe to the newsletter, add another 6 months to the two years. I've bought lenses recently from Amazon and have done this with no problems. If the Olympus website doesn't recognise the serial number or doesn't confirm the warranty, then you could return it to Amazon for a UK version. That said, Amazon Customer Service is excellent. I've never had a problem returning items within warranty to Amazon themselves for a replacement, even those with 2 year warranties.

Registration Start - MyOLYMPUS

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Roland Fenwick

Roland Fenwick New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2015
    You wont have a problem with Amazon honouring the warranty, there excellent, if it develops a fault send it back via Amazon.

From Amazon

For some products sold directly by Amazon.co.uk and Warehouse Deals, if they're covered under a manufacturer's warranty, you may have the option of having them repaired by a third-party repair service provider who is authorised by manufacturers to repair their products.

If your item is eligible for repair, you'll be offered this as an option in the Returns Support Centre and you'll be able to send the item directly to the third-party repairer. Learn how to Create a Repair Label. It's very important that you back up any files and remove any passwords before sending an item for repair, otherwise the repairer may not be able to repair your device. You may also want to erase your saved personal information from the item. If you're sending an Apple product, learn how to Prepare Your Apple Device For Repair.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SirHugo

SirHugo New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi Rob.

I also bought this lens kit over Xmas from Amazon in the lightening deal. I received it to my London work address on the 4th Jan. It was dispatched from Dunfermline and couriered by Hermes. Like you, mine also has the Polyphoto S.P.A sticker on the box and the same 2 Polyphoto warranty cards. What is far more disturbing to me though was the condition of the product box - it was extremely scuffed and scratched, certainly not looking like a ‘new’ item. Even if it was sitting on a shelf for a long time in a warehouse I cannot understand how it could have got in this state.
    On opening though all the contents appear to be fine and I’m pretty sure it’s all new and unused. I haven’t had the time to test it yet (it’s still at work), but I am about to email Amazon about it. Obviously there was a substantial saving on the price, but it’s still the most expensive piece of kit I’ve purchased, so I’m not entirely happy with Amazon’s service this at this time.
    I’d be interested to know if yours arrived in the same condition, Rob.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    (Many thanks for previous replies which are much appreciated)

Hi SirHugo
    Apologies - have only just read your post
    My packaging was OK perhaps a couple of minor marks but nothing serious
    Interesting that you had the same Warranty Cards and Sticker on the box
    Mine came via Hermes too if I recall correctly and very very quickly
    I haven't used mine yet as I am still within the return period and because I am still concerned and was considering contacting AMAZON but previous replies here had put my mind at rest to some degree
    My actual lens was certainly in totally New Condition. The plastic wrappers were clearly factory fresh
    My concern was that they had been derived via some Grey source whereby the enclosed Warranty Cards were supposed to be for direct seller warranty in the same way that grey suppliers to the UK provide their own Direct Warranties and that as a result the Lens might not have any entitlement to official Olympus Warranty cover
    I was assuming I would get the usual 2 year Olympus UK a Warranty when I ordered the lens. The "edge was taken away from my excitement about getting the lens at reduced price when it became clear that this was not a UK supplied item
    I will be very appreciative of an update with regard to the results of your enquiries with AMAZON
    Regards
    Rob

8. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Have you read the Olympus Warranty card that came with it?
    Does it say "European Service Warranty"? Or something else? And does it say how long the warranty is for?
    If you have one of those then I don't understand your concern.
    That is all that really matters - whether you do or don't have an Olympus warranty.
    Until you look at the card and tell us the answer, you can't get a definite reply.

This has very little to do with Amazon, unless you want your money back.

9. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Growltiger - there is a European Service Warranty Card in the package
    Regards
    Rob

10. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Then you never had anything to worry about. Good news.