1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Amazon trade-in scam

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Clemo, May 17, 2016.

1. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Just a warning, I had some brand new kit lens that I purchased with several Olympus OMD EM-5's and EM-10's a while ago that I thought was a good deal at the time, only costing me $50 for each. So I decided to trade it in to Amazon who offered compensation that would allow me to make $10 per item or so.

I thought sweet! Time to get these items out of my closet since they are just collecting dust. Amazon trade-in has a short form you fill out about the condition. I chose like-new because they were! They were brand new, and unused.

Then amazon has an option you can check where upon arrival to the warehouse and inspection, I can choose to accept their condition report and value accordingly (if they disagree with my condition), or I can have the item returned to me. I chose 'accept condition value' since I knew they were brand new items and so I would have zero discrepancy between my reported condition and their inspected condition.

Well they received my trade-in a week ago, and this morning I received the cash amount much less than what I should have received. It turns out they downgraded all 6 of my lenses from like-new (when really they were brand new) to 'good'. On ALL of the lenses they wrote the reason for the condition downgrade as: "

• Glass has slight marks that do not affect picture quality "
    This is obviously a complete lie. I had no reason to suspect amazon was going to cheat their customers so I did not do my research on the amazon trade-in program. However, after the fact, I googled and found out many many many similar cases. I contacted them and their summary was basically, 'well you should have selected to have the items returned - deal with it'.

Just a warning guys, don't lose your hard earned cash.

Amazon scam.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 13
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Similar experience here. They downgraded a lens I sent with the remarks "major scratches", and a camera with "major cracks or dents", neither of which was true. Fortunately, I had selected "Return for Free" as the option. Funny thing is, I sent the lens back a few months later, and it was accepted as "Good", which it was. It almost seems like Amazon Trade-in is a roll of the dice.

TT

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    $50 for the 14-42 isn't a bad price either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I thought for "Like New", you need to send in the original packaging. Since they are kit lenses, I assume there's no such packaging?

Anyway, I have had similar trade-in experiences with Amazon. I sent in a really like-new iPhone, with packaging and all. It had a screen protector and was in a soft case since day 1. Before I sent it in, I checked under bright LED and saw no scratches. I selected the same option to accept whatever trade-in condition they pick, and of course they downgraded it from "Like New" to "Good" supposedly because of scratches on the screen.

5. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Sorry, i meant kit lenses as in the quality of lens typically found in kits. They were in full retail packaging, mint boxes, never opened, warranty card inside and everything.

6. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Very informative. Sorry to hear about all this. Have any of you with bad experiences (in the US) filed a complaint with your local attorney general? I suspect that's the way to go if one wants to do something about it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Hi there, I have not and will not. It's not that big of a concern for me. It seems like there is an issue with me calling this a scam, however I just wanted a concise title. However, it is still deceptive business practice.

To clarify on the issue:

These were six separate brand new lenses in retail box and packaging that were being traded in.
    The highest trade in rating you can select and can be assessed is 'like-new' which is obviously not as superior as 'brand-new'.
    They determined that each six individual brand new lenses I submitted were less than in 'like-new' condition, despite never having been opened, because each one supposedly had 'Glass has slight marks that do not affect picture quality'.
    6 separate lenses having the same issue.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I had the opposite experience...but it's been since 2013 since I used them. I traded in an e5 and an 8mm and got more than what I could have on the used market.

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I had the opposite experience too. I sold my 25 Nokton in like new condition and received what they quoted me. Maybe its the luck of the draw?

Trade-In Placed:
    June 11, 2015
    • Trade-In ID: TRN-2232983-1115376
    • Total Amount Submitted: $513.39
    • Amount Paid: $513.39
    • Graded Amount: $513.39
    Transaction Status:
    Verified and Processed
    1 Item Submitted
    Paid: 1
    Gift card deposited
    View Gift Card Balance
    Like New
    $513.39
    41lKUuPCHIL._SL160_SL100_. Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton Aspherical Lens, Type II, Manual Focus for Micro 4/3 Mount
    Submitted Condition: Like New Qty: 1
    Expected Amount Per Item: $513.39
    Payment Option: Pay upon grading
    Return Option: Return downgraded items

10. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry

I'm going to have to say that it depends if you've chosen 'return items' or 'pay as graded'. I think if you chose return items, there is a better chance they pay you what it's worth. If you choose to just accept the graded value, then they have more reason to downgrade your condition. So just be careful, lesson learned.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    you didn't post them on here for sale? I would have paid $60 for that 14-42. Amazon has them used priced at $99

• Like Like x 3
  12. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    I did a while ago, but I didn't really care to sell them so never followed up, just thought I was getting a good deal and made an impulsive buy. I still have a silver 14-42mm left if u want ;)

13. Lyman

Lyman New to Mu-43

May 20, 2016
    I'm sorry to hear that. I always select return them just in case something like this happens.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems a bit shady. Thanks for the warning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    If my trade-in is up to their quality guideline, I always select return to force their hands a bit. After all, they have to pay shipping both ways. ;)
    So far, I have traded in one lens and many video games and books. No issue and no reject.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ditto. I've used them a number of times, most recently in 2015. I always got what I bargained for and, in two specific cases, the camera I was trading in was upgraded from "good" to "like new." And the prices I got in all cases were higher than what I would have received trading them in elsewhere or even on the open used market.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bill R

Bill R Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    I suspect any company that buys used equipment may be hyper critical to help their profit margin. However, I have used KEH for many years without any issues.

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've traded in books, CDs and DVDs before, had no issue. I just sent off a more expensive item for trade-in. I would have chosen to accept Amazon's estimated value, but after reading this thread, I asked they return the item to me if they think it's worth less than the estimate. Fingers crossed they just pay me the full estimated value. :)

Edit (5/26): Just got an email today from Amazon accepting my trade-in for the agreed-upon estimate. Still glad I told them to return it if they disagreed with my assessment though. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  19. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Just an update, I traded a like-new samsung S5 as well at the same time, just received it back today. When I traded it in, it was in mint condition, I take meticulous care of my possessions. It worked completely fine, in fact I used it the day prior to charge it from 25% to full and to transfer pictures from it and also to reformat it. Well, they returned it and the reason they said was because it doesn't power on. Sure enough, I checked and it doesn't work or power on anymore. The USB port area where you plug it in to charge is really loose and I suspect damaged. I wonder if they (the vendor, 3rd party seller, not amazon) used my phone as parts to replace theirs and then just sent me back a damaged phone. I know Amazon works with different vendors that do these trade ins so I'm just completely baffled. What a horrendous experience. I don't even know what to say, this seems so far-fetched but it happened.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I tried them once. I sent in a GX-7 with box and everything else. It did have an abrasion where the tripod mount was located. I got "acceptable", very low return, in my opinion. I don't know about these things. I don't have time to mess around trying to get top dollar,but I will not send any more stuff to them.