Amazon sent the Domke f-2 instead on the F-5XB

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ryanlogic, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Ok, so amazon sent me the wrong bag through gigabargain (gigabargain through amazon?)

They sent me a Domke f-2 instead, which is a really nice bag...but it is gigantic! I have absolutely no use for a bag this big!

I called amazon. And honestly, I couldn't be more disappointed by the way they are handling it.

They expect me to deal with gigabargain. I have to send them the bag back, and then when they receive it, they will send me the right one. I don't know what kind of shipping options I will have but, I am afraid that I will have to deal with ground shipping. Normally I am pretty even keel about these things...but i have a weekend trip coming up and i really want to bring my new OM-d...and I have nothing to carry it in.

im thinking about just ordering the right one through adorama with 2 day shipping and trying to recoup my money by selling the f-2 (which retails for a lot more) here or on ebay.

what would you guys do?

2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    If you bought from a third party seller on amazon marketplace then amazon is just an intermediary (a bit like ebay) so technically they are correct in saying that you should deal with the seller.

3. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    is F2 more expensive than F-5XB?

if yes...

sell the F2....get the $ buy F-5XB...Profits=buy more camera gear!

I won't return!!
    Its on their human error and i get to make full use of it!

wahahahaha!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufrYjucDJ2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    That's gigantic??

6. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    For my needs, yes.

I have an OM-D and hope to have two or three more small lenses boot my kit.

it's actually a very small camera.

7. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    For E-M5? Sure it is :D

I use F-2 for D700 & gear and it's an awesome bag in my opinion. However, it's indeed quite useless for m43. 2 or 3 times too big than necessary.

Sell F-2, buy F-5XB, use the rest for filter or spare accu.

8. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    indeed!!

OOT..but i sold off my Domke F6...whole hooks was rusted..and one guy willing to self collect at my place..and looking for a well USED bag...wonder he used it for what...

9. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    Wrong merchandise

If you used credit card and vendor is not responsive, contact your CC company in writing(!) and contest the charge. CC rules usually say you have right to refuse to pay for mdse you did not order or "not fit for use", at least in the states. Look up the disputes section of our CC to learn the exact procedure.

Does not mean you can keep the mdse, but does allow you to tell gigabargain to send you prepaid return slip and allow you to return for what you ordered. Point is their mistake should not come at a cost to you. If you paid for shipping, you have right to demand the cost of the replacement be reduced to cover your shipping cost. I'd make it clear this is your expectation. If they are honest they will pay for their mistake, if not, initiate a chargeback for the cost of shipping. Companies HATE chargebacks.

If they fail, then you can initiate a charge back thru your CC, because generally you have no obligation to pay for anything you did not order. Pls don't abuse this powerful tool. Unfortunately banks are increasingly forcing binding arbitration which usually is unfavorable to you, but Uniform Commercial Code also protects you too.

PS If debit card, you may be out of luck. IMO shred your debit card as they do not provide you any contractual protection at all. Also the more they adv on TV the worse the terms of the CC generally are. Go with a credit union.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've found that leaving poor feedback for Amazon sellers gets a response very, very quickly. If they don't immediately offer to make things right, at their expense, leave negative feedback and see what they do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ryan -

Moral issue. You received something sent to you in error, and it is worth more than the equipment you ordered. Not your error, but I don't think that allows you to keep the merchandise.

Contact GigaBargain; they may well say "keep it", considering the cost a restocking/reshipping will incur. You could then sell the gear. If they say return it, then return for credit. Your credit card company should back you on that one - what you received isn't what you ordered.

In the interim, order via 2 day shipping the correct bag from the other vendor so you can schlep your OMD.

I had a similar experience not to long ago - I ordered rock sliders for my Jeep (very large, very heavy metal rails that bolt to the underside of the vehicle as armor against damage when off-roading). The shipment arrived one day - and a duplicate shipment arrived the next day. Unfortunately it was sent to my place of business and signed for (not by me) so I was unable to refuse the second shipment. I called the vendor who said "keep it" - the cost of pickup and restocking was more than they were willing to pay.

It's important to keep ones Karma in good condition, one never knows when it will be needed :wink:.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  12. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    They told me I could keep it because they didn't want to pay the shipping both ways for the correct item..

13. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    In that case sell it and order the correct one elsewhere and you should still come out ahead financially - although you have the hassle of selling something you don't need and reordering what you actually wanted. Then leave them feedback on amazon saying that while they let you keep the more expensive item, the seller's error resulted in inconvenience for you as you had needed the correct item asap.

But if you don't want the hassle of selling it then they should still accept the return as the error was on their part. Amazon should back you up on this as (at least here on the amazon UK marketplace) the buyer has the right to return an item if it is not as described and the seller must pay the return costs.

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    That's great. Of course the question is, can you sell it fast enough to pay for the correct bag when it comes in, and make a shekel or two in the process?

According to prices on Amazon there's about $60 U.S. difference between the two bags (looking at the cheapest F2). You'll need to figure in the extra overnight shipping charges when pricing selling the F2, but still I should imagine that you won't have too much trouble selling it.

Too bad they didn't send you a Billingham Hadley :biggrin:.

If it seems too much trouble to try a resell, they would have to take it back because they sent the wrong item and credit your card.

Either way, Karma remains intact.

Regards,

Jim

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'd contact and send the bag back to Gigabargin. Get a full refund plus shipping costs, don't know where you are but if possible, I'd turn around and visit a few brick & motar stores and get a Domke locally.

or

If Gigabargin is nice and remorseful, I'd have them send the new bag via express shipping, again at their costs. Just because Gigabargin made a mistake, doesn't mean it's okay to take advantage for personal gain based on their mistake. If they're not nice or remorseful or willing to bend over backwards to correct their mistake ... talk to a manager ... two wrongs, especially when the first was unintentional, do not make a right.

Gary

PS- Just read that Gigabargin said keep it. Well, then sell it, meanwhile see if Gigabargin will cut you a deal on the correct bag (price and/or express shipping).
    G

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...or I'll give you $80 shipped to Florida.

I have no morals. :biggrin:

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Sell it to SRHEdD ...

18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    One lesson here is that on Amazon you need to be sure of who you are buying from. I've had no issues with 3rd party sellers, but I like to choose the ones that adopt Amazon's return policy. Not all do.

OP, did Gigabargin refuse to allow a return for full credit (+ return shipping) or for the right bag, or did they simply offer you the option to keep it because of how the economics work out for them?

I

19. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    They offered to exchange it, but I would have to wait until they received the f-2 before they sent me the correct bag... So I'm looking at 1-2 weeks to receive the correct bag. Furthermore, I don't have a car.. So taking it to a UPS location isn't exactly easy for me.

I asked them to send me the correct bag overnight, or by Friday morning at least... And told them to include the shipping label in that package... And promised to ship the f-2 back... Waiting for a response.

if they don't reply before I get out of class. or expect me to deal with the 2 week option... I'm just gonna sell the bag on here for 100 which covers the cost of the f-5xb and two day shipping.

20. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Even if I don't sell the bag right away, someone will buy it... It's brand new and will not be used until someone buys it from me.. I don't want to make money, I just want to break even.