Amazon scam?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jgreg, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    Has any body bought a lens like the Olympus 12-40mm from used Amazon at the price of $350 or $400 and had to text before buying? Is this ligament?

2. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    It is certainly not ligament!

Legitimate, it's hard to say... I'd be suspicious about needing to text from my phone. The entire process should happen through Amazon's website.

I bought a new lens sold and packaged by Amazon with no problems. I've had some weird (and some bad) experiences buying from 3rd party Amazon sellers. Good news is you should have protection from Amazon but I'm not sure what that is exactly.

3. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Probably depends upon the seller. I'd be concerned about the quality and reliability.

4. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    I could see a private seller wanting off-board confirmation that you are real, and using a mobile number to do it. Seems linament, but I'd definitely (re)check their seller profile.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    But selling through Amazon they shouldn't need outside confirmation. They list on Amazon, you pay Amazon, Amazon tells seller where to ship, seller ships to you, Amazon pays seller.

But I'm just paranoid. If you buy through Amazon you've created an account to Amazon's standards, what more could the seller need?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    So many scammers on there now. I really don't like this 3rd party seller thing and especially when they put them under prime. We ordered a vacuum with a too good to be true price and it was just that.

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    There are a lot of third party scammers on Amazon, both buying and selling. I would be hesitant to purchase anything with instructions going beyond the buying/selling structure that is already in place.

To me this days that they are offering a bait and switch price, when you contact them they will probably have some reason why you have to send them more money. Obviously if you advertise a price that low it puts you in the most prominent position on Amazon's used marketplace, but they have no intention of actually selling it to you for that price.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    No - Sounds dodgy to me.

9. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

There are plenty of posts of Google about listings like this and the advice is to stay away! On the UK Amazon there are quite a few of these listings where you need to text or phone a number after buying. I'm sure Amazon would protect buyers against fraudulent listings, just like eBay.

10. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    I think you guys are right but the price was tempting. I wish Amazon would't allow this.

11. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    DFW, TX
    I recently had a very similar experience at Amazon. Purchased from this seller
    "StuartPeregoy" never received item.
    Siftu's right. Stay away from priced too good to be true 3rd party sellers. They're just scammers.

• Wow Wow x 1
  12. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Perhaps report the listing to Amazon customer service. They tend to be very responsive, and I somehow think asking for your phone number may be against their seller's rules. Might just save others from a mistake.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 16, 2014
    They probably don't allow it if they know a particular seller is acting shady. Report it so they know.

With Amazon ALWAYS pay attention to who is the actual seller. I've had okay experiences with third party sellers but I also always walk away from anything that seems "off"

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    You can report and the seller will be removed, just to replaced by the next scammer seller. You don't lose anything besides time and more importantly trust in Amazon. They used to have the best price, fast shipping and 100% reliability. Now they just have fast shipping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    I replied to such an Amazon listing. I ultimately reported it to Amazon as a scam.

It was a Amazon Marketplace sale posting which many people use to sell used goods and goods that they are a small retailer for. Normally payments are made through Amazon and Amazon collects its fee and monitors the process including shipping and feedback. But in this case the seller wanted you to email them first. When you reply to them you get a email that looks pretty much like an Amazon communication except it not from an real Amazon address if you look carefully. Its carefully worded to make you think its an official Amazon communication, lots of Amazon logos and typefaces and stylization. They instruct you to go to a real Amazon site (the only real Amazon web address in the whole thing) and purchase essentially an unrestricted Amazon gift card for the amount of the purchase and make it out to them.

This is where I quit the process, sent e-mails to Amazon about scams and ignored a bunch of emails that followed like did you forget, do you need more help, etc.

Because it became obvious to me that between the too good to be true price and the way they wanted to take you outside the normal Amazon Marketplace of paying though Amazon, that once you sent them the usable gift card, you will never hear from them again. Having you buy an Amazon card is a bit clever as it makes you think you are paying through Amazon, but you are not, you are just basically handing them Amazon merchandise of their choice that's untraceable.

I don't know for sure that I wouldn't have gotten a lens, but all the facts seems to point out that it was a likely scam due to the shady payment method. After all if they are willing to cheat Amazon, would they also be willing to cheat you?

As Amazon has no idea that you are communicating with the seller, even if the seller legitimately sold you the lens, Amazon would be cheated of its commission. This is a gross misuse of Amazon, I think its important to let them know. Ultimately you lose any guarantee that Amazon gives you, plus an trace-ability plus seller feedback. So its bad for you even if you get your stuff, which I seriously doubt.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Scam. I have seen it with rock-bottom GX8 prices several times. I have never bitten but I'm sure it would go like @lchien@lchien says. Typically the offer is only around a day or two before, presumably, Amazon notices it and shuts the guy down.

17. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Unfortunately the Amazon Marketplace can't tell a legit seller from a scammer if all communications is done outside Amazon. Of course, Amazon should look at the ads and if it says contact us first, that's a bad sign. They should ban those sellers immediately..

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. littletim

littletim Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Scam. Buying outside of Amazon by sending via gift cards or sometime by other method such as checks or bank transfer will renders Amazon protection void. Notice that they use a throw away email and will just registered a new email to scam the next victim. You also get some extra spam for free.

19. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 16, 2014
    This is why I typically stick with Prime items as that means they're sitting in an Amazon warehouse.

Ebay, Amazon, wherever, there are scammers trying to catch out the unwary. Caveat Emptor.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. DaveP8ton

DaveP8ton New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2017
    I know that you do have to watch Amazon for it's pricing. Normally the prices on Amazon.ca are much higher than Amazon.com and not just by the conversion form $US to $CAN. But I got a Panasonic-Leica 100-400 mm Lens from Amazon.ca last month for $1899 Cdn when the price at Amazon.com was $1799 US. Since the exchange rate is 1.33 or more, I was OK with the price and the lens is a sweet combo on the EM-1.2.