Amazon Prime Increasing from $79 to $99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by andrehoban, Mar 13, 2014.

1. andrehoban

andrehoban New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2014
    I just got an email confirming that when my prime renews is July the rate is increasing from $79 to $99.
    My rate increases in July 2014. So check your renewal dates!

I shop on amazon a lot so I feel like the discounted prices I get probably even out the membership fee. If I had to order more in order to get free shipping or wait around until I have several things to order together then I'll probably end up spending that much more anyway. [​IMG]It's just harder to part with it all at once.

I will probably still come out ahead but not sure. Its probably still worth it but it pisses me off.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Never understood the point in Amazon prime personally (from my point of view that is - I can see why Amazon would want to do it!!). For the number of times I need 1 day delivery, I'll just pay. Most of the time free super saver delivery is just fine.
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Not too happy with the increase, especially after Amazon took away the flat $3.99 overnight shipping on all items eligible for prime, and switched to a variable rate overnight shipping. Also not happy with the fact that Amazon uses that smart post crap, which has USPS handling the actual delivery. USPS is as bad as UPS when it comes to package handling -- just slower!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, Lasership too. If raising the fee to $99 means that they'll get their act together with the shipping and I can count on $3.99 1-day shipping actually coming in 1 day and free shipping actually coming in 2 days, then great. But if not, this will probably be my last year as a Prime member.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're a student you can qualify for Student Prime rates which is only $49.
  6. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Prime was a godsend when we had a newborn. Never had any of the delivery problems discussed here (on several occasions had 1d deliveries arrive later the day they were ordered). However, our newborn is now a toddler and this might just be the kick in the pants we need to ditch it.
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I complain to Amazon customer service for every delayed SmartPost delivery and get either 1 month prime extension or $10 in gift certificate.
    Also, I tried to live without prime for couple months, but waiting for packages to be delivered in Chicago for 10 business days (!!!) is so 2003-sh..
  8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm fine with it. Amazon Prime owes me nothing at the end of the day. Great TV service, and great shipping. Except for whatever is going on with them and HBO lately. Game of thrones III Blu ray came in for $29 and HBO says you can't use amazon as a service to watch the digital version because of "reported playback problems" I call BS on that on HBO's side, but whatever.
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Given the amount I spend at amazon, it's minimal just to have the speedier shipping, so why not? It also enabled me to buy things under the free shipping minimum without having to wait to fill out the cart. No, not for everyone, but it's a pretty cheap luxury for me.

I also haven't had the huge lasership problems everyone seems to have. A lot of times I get my stuff in one day. Though, usually late in the day.
  10. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    The past few months, 2 day shipping has often meant 2-5 day shipping. Leaning toward making this my last year, with the price increase.
  11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I cancled my membership this morning. With BB, Staples, Frys etc price matching Amazon without hassle, I can usually get my deals locally anyway.
  12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    2 bucks a week, free shipping (I've not had delivery issues), and free prime videos and t.v. on the Roku work for me.

$79 was better, tho :biggrin:.

With all of the kids and grandkids out of state I pretty much make out on two day shipping for gifts and such.

The one thing that bugs me..O.K., TWO things that bug me about Prime -

1. A limit of one free Kindle book a month out of the lending library and
    2. No support for the lending library on non-Kindle devices.

However (since I kept my old Kindle when I moved to the Nexus) I can borrow a book a month which pretty much makes the $2 a week fee for Prime a wash. I do wish that Amazon would upgrade their Android reader software to make the lending library available on my Nexus, tho.

Edit: *Also Amazon bugs me because they list some camera gear at low prices - but upon research one finds that the low price is for gray market merchandise :mad:. That's a separate rant...
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Can you point me to the complaint page? I need to start complaining. I sent an email before, but got no response. Thanks!
  14. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I am still eligible for the $79 renewal, and I'd probably stick with it due to the number of items we purchase regularly from Amazon. I got so used to 2-day shipping that I don't think I can not have that. :biggrin: Plus I love discovering new books/authors from their Kindle Owner's Lending library - but boo on the one a month limit. I usually wait for 3 weeks so I can borrow the next one.
  15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I've had shipping issues too, quite a few things coming in the 5+ day range, and it wasn't the shipper's fault but Amazon sat on the item for days. I'm done, I've been a prime member for 3 or 4 years now. It was great when the prices were great and there was no tax. Now its very easy to get a better price, delivered. Prime video is nice but its not worth $100.
  16. AndyCr

AndyCr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2013
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Andy Cripps
    Mine renewed last month, so I am good for a while. I'll probably still keep it, I think the shipping costs alone make it worth while. I do use the streaming video at home, through a blu-ray player, but wish they would release an Android app for my tablet.
  17. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Surprised to hear of the shipping issues. Might the winter weather have anything to do with it? I've had no delays in delivery here, and quite often, I'm getting things overnight with 2 day shipping. In addition to FedEx and UPS, Amazon uses USPS and Ontrac in California, with the latter two being occasionally unreliable.

As for cost, with as much as I rely on Amazon (have only been to the local mall twice, and not once to a big box store, this past year) for all of my shopping, and the time and gas I save, I consider myself way ahead even after the $20 hike.
  18. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    If you also use their streaming service it isn't a bad deal really. About the same cost as Netflix but then you get free fast shipping too! But certainly something you can live without.

I've had issues with "Smart Post" which is clearly "Stupid Post" in my area. Always a day late at least. No issues with Lasership though. I think which alternative methods work well depends on where you live.

Lastly, now that I've started to keep track more carefully there are a lot of things that I could get locally but would require a special trip to a store that is out of the way and the vehicle expenses make it far more expensive than buying from Amazon. The marginal energy expense of my package riding along on trucks that would already drive by my house anyway is a lot smaller footprint wise than me getting it locally. Naturally the cheapest and lowest impact thing to do though is to not buy the thing by any method and Prime kind of encourages the opposite.

Anyway, the price increase seems fair and the tailoring they've done over time of what ships what way seems pretty reasonable to me.
  19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Out of dozens of purchases using Prime this last year I would say one was late (3 days), most were on time (2 days) and several arrived in only one day. Coupled with the videos and lending library I think it is still a bargain at $100.
  20. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I have maxed out my 5 people on there all of whom use it quite a bit. So to me even $99 is a bargain. Just depends what you want. We regularly drop that kind of money on dinner out on the weekend. Keep some perspective. :)