1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Amazon Glacier: Reliable Archival Storage for $0.01 per GB / month

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Today Amazon announced Amazon Glacier. As an Amazon Web Services customer, I received the following email which highlights the new service:

I'm currently using Carbonite, which works out to be a even a bit cheaper for my needs, but Glacier looks like another great option for archiving digital media affordably.

If you don't currently have a backup plan for your precious photos, I strongly encourage you to take action right away, especially if your all of your photos are sitting on a single hard drive without a backup. At a minimum, have a second local copy. Better still is to have a local backup as well as an offsite backup like Carbonite or Glacier.

• Like Like x 11
  2. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Seems intresting, and pretty cheap!

3. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I was tempted to get Dropbox or Skydrive for 200gb of backup, but i would still keep everything locally, doing it llike this would be a hell of a lot easier and then uploading would be a weekly thing.

This is so much cheaper. If i ever lose anything i would still have it here.

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    as much as I love Amazon, the canadian site has always been last to get features. this would have been a good alternative for my archived photos as an off-site 3rd copy from a reputable company. oh well, i guess we have to wait.

5. ppdd

ppdd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    Check out crashplan. I pay about $10/mo to back up all my computers (2 laptops and 2 desktops) and around 2.5TB of data. The initial upload takes forever and a day, but the client does a nice job of limiting its bandwidth/cpu usage when you're not using the computer. Cheaper than carbonite, stronger encryption, lots more configuration options, they keep the data forever, etc. I love it.

I also have 100GB at dropbox, but that's strictly for stuff I'm actively working on rather than backups. Can't beat dropbox for ease of use.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm also a crashplan customer, but I'm glad to hear about this offering from Amazon.

7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I too use Crashplan. 1.8 TB saved. Initial upload took 4 months, but I also could have paid to have them send me a HD.

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    +1 for Canadians sadly left in the cold. :(

9. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Amazon Glacier is a service for AWS (Amazon Web Services) customers, meaning it's target market is developers and not consumers. Give it a few weeks for new consumer oriented services and tools to launch using Glacier.

To put this into perspective, DropBox is built using Amazon S3, a much more expensive storage infrastructure, but designed for real-time retrieval of data.

p.s. This doesn't have anything to do with Canada or US.

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Always read the fine print:

If a third party sues Amazon in relation to your data:

And just so you know, you have no recourse over the service if it turns out to be bad:

If you do want to sue Amazon, you would be agreeing to do in in their Washington jurisdiction:

This is how safe your data is:

And this makes it really safe:

Personally, I am happy to store and backup my own data. Why give it to a company that will claim all rights over it yet take no responsibility for it.

• Like Like x 8
  11. EddyKilowatt

EddyKilowatt New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    Cloudberry Backup is worth a look as well. They already back up to Amazon S3, and just confirmed to me that they'll be adding Glacier soon... which should be pretty straightforward (= reliable) since they already support S3.

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    As another poster pointed out. I would be hesitant to trust Amazon, or any other online backup, with my data. I definitely would not trust them with the only copy of my data or even the backup. Maybe as a 3rd copy just for the access from anywhere. Amazon is known for banning users. Once banned, you lose access to everything linked to your Amazon account. You Kindle books are lost, the movies you bought are lost and your purchased music is lost. It would be horrible to have the only copy of your data on Amazon and be banned. You will lose it.

13. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    that is the "best practice" of offsite storage :smile:

do you offsite your data somewhere that can is safe from calamities?

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have my computer attached to Time Machine. All my data is on a RAID 1 array and I keep a third copy on a backup hard drive at a different site that gets updated once a month with the RAID.

15. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Wow, this is really cheap! To be honest I'm not that concerned about the terms of service. I have maybe 50 GB of photos, which would only cost me 50 cents per month. I keep re-reading the pricing page to make sure that is correct! ;)

I used Dropbox for working files and it obviously has much more functionality for that. But to use Dropbox for large archival would be expensive and overkill compared to this. I don't need 10x redundancy or anything like that, since I do already have a Time Machine backup as well.

Is this actually consumer-usable though? I see a lot of references to APIs to upload or retrieve data.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    50GB from box.net was free for the better part of a year. Don't know if it still is.

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What does it mean?

• Durable - Amazon Glacier is designed to provide average annual durability of 99.999999999% for each item stored.

So I only lose 107 bytes per GB ... is that per month? Let's hope them bytes are not file directory or other critical info.

18. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    not sure if you're kidding. I'll assume you're not :smile:

that is tech-speak to say that the probability of it going down is highly unlikely. there are not a lot of company that can exceed 5 9's after the dot so that is a big commitment from Amazon.

so no, it's not what you are thinking.

19. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    LOL, I just checked my Box.net account (forgot I had one but your post reminded me!) I have 50GB available. :tongue:

I'll have to take a look and see how much storage my photos actually use up.

At the very least I'll be able to back up 80-90% for free.:thumbup:

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You never want only one copy of important data. And you never want all your copies to be in the same physical location. This service is intended for archival storage, not routine access, so you wouldn't want to keep your working data there. But not having offsite backup of your images borders on the insane. One house fire, burglary, or lighting strike could destroy everything.

As far as Amazon banning users, got any evidence? I've not heard of any such issues.