Amazon deal of the day - transcend sd cards

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Bokeaji, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    These are crazy inexpensive for Class 10 cards. Fwiw, I have had a couple Transcend cards fail on me, and I can't say the same for SanDisk or Lexar.

Regarding the affiliate links, the forum software should automatically add our affiliate code to any Amazon links when you click on them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    oh nice!

yeah, i always use san disk... im not sure why, i just strted with them, and kept em.. lol

they seem to have great reviews via amazon tho, shrug
    i ordered a couple as JUST IN CASE's
    my 16 uhs1's are plenty enuf for now, but never know if someone else is getting a camera, and might need a card :D

come onnnnnnn photokina!
    lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've got an 8GB Transcend "Class 10" SDHC card, but it's much slower than my SanDisk Extreme card (which is stated to deliver 30MB/sec.) Other than performance I haven't had any problems with the Transcend card, but going forward I'm unlikely to use it for anything but a "just in case" sort of scenario.

Going forward I'm unlikely to buy anything buy SanDisk Extreme or Extreme Pro cards. Yes, they cost a bit more, but I figure that the shot I miss waiting for my camera's buffer to unload is potentially priceless.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've only had 2 cards fail on me in many years. One CF and one SD. Both were Sandisk. I've got a bunch of Transcend cards and so far, so good.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I recently got a couple Lexar 60MB/s cards, and they are noticeably faster than my usual Sandisk 15MB/s and 30MB/s cards. The old Sandisk Ultra II 15MB/s cards are kind of painful to use compared to the Lexars. Can't speak to the Transcend card performance as I haven't tried them in quite a while. Very tempting at these prices though!

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have a 16GB Transcend class 10 card too, and IME it's waaaaay slower than my 30MB/s Sandisk Extreme cards. So it sits in my bag as an emergency spare. :frown: For applications that don't require max speed, however, I've found Transcend to be fine. I just got a bargain on a Sandisk 45MB/s card, and I'm spoiled now. I'm afraid to try anything faster, because I won't be able to make myself use my existing cards. :wink:

8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    "Class 10" has no useful meaning for modern digital cameras: all it signifies is a minimum transfer rate of 10MB/sec. By comparison, a single E-M5 RAW file is about 16 megabytes.

Looking at the "x" number is more reliable, but even then some manufacturers use "x" to report the maximum (not sustained) transfer rate, or the (normally higher) read rate--which for high-FPS burst shooting is not very helpful.

The real deal fast cards have the sustained read/write rates printed directly on the card's label.

For example, SanDisk makes several models of Class 10 cards; some are rated for only 25MB/sec read/write, others at 45MB/sec, and the best at 95MB/sec. And I have a couple of Panasonic 16GB Class 10 cards whose labels report 90MB read but only 25MB write.

Most "high speed" cards aren't, in reality. :)

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    And then the randomness where some users have found different real world speeds per batch. For serious high speed needs, I'm not sure there's a much easier solution than trying to pick up the high end Lexars and Sandisks.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

11. rtb001

rtb001 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Rochester NY
    According to the amazon user submitted photos, the Transcend cards have read/write speeds of approx 20 mb/sec.

The Sandisk (which is approx $18 for the 16 gb version) appears to be in the 35-40 mb/sec range.

Realistically, how much difference would the extra 15-20 mb/sec be apparent in everyday use with say an OM-D?

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    to be honest i use trascend sd cards on my omd and sandisk extreme compact flash on my 5d never had any problem with any of those, and honestly if im worried about missing the shot because of the card writing speed i wouldnt be shooting fast action or filling the buffer on a m43 camera in the first place.

also as a tip since cards are all gettig cheaper and cheaper, i think its better to have a bunch of "small" capacity ones than just a few "big" ones, cause if the big one dies out there you lose 64,32,16 gb of photos instead of only 8 or 4gb.