Amazon.com's number 1 selling CSC today is...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by EP1-GF1, May 29, 2012.

1. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    ... the Olympus

E-PL1

Here

Must be all those impatient OMD shoppers who just aren't prepared to wait for it to come back into stock.

Or not.

Apologies if this isn't news - I just noticed it and it made me smile.

2. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Cheaper cameras sell. P&S's are being rapidly displaced by camera phones, but they still outsell mirrorless and DSLR's by at least 10:1. Also, a lot of the big-box electronic stores offer cheaper models in packages at discounted prices.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, I see it more as cause for concern. It means Olympus still has not been able to unload all their inventory for a camera that's not been produced in well over a year. The fact that there are still such large numbers of E-PL1s out there is not good news.

It's going to be very hard for their camera division to start making money if it takes them such long periods of time to get rid of older models at cut-rate prices.

DH

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    They evidently made too many of that one, probably over-estimated demand. They're clearly not having that problem with the EM5 so they appear capable of learning and adjusting their approach. Or they just suck at predicting demand, both up and down. Except that other than these two models, I've never seen any real problems with them blowing their demand estimates. Of the EP2, EPL2, and all of the third gen Pens, there were plenty available at introduction but all seem to have held their value pretty well through their product life, with just a few short-lived "blowout" sales at the end of the EP2's life cycle...

Having owned and used a number of m43 cameras, the EPL1 is the only one I wouldn't buy again under any circumstances. It was my first decent camera after 25-30 years away from phtography and I never warmed up to its all-button interface. Not even close. Just had it a couple of months, solid it in favor of an EP2, and never looked back. Probably a lot of people wouldn't buy it for that reason but now its finally found a price poing that P&S upgraders will love and it'd be a fine camera for just setting to iAuto and leaving it there. If you never make any manual adjustments, the lack of dials and wheels wouldn't bother you.

-Ray

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ray, I wonder if some people who buy the E-PL1 now to get a feel for the MFT system will become discouraged with the controls or lack thereof, ultimately deciding the system is not for them...?

If someone wanted to get in on the cheap (relatively), assuming they wanted to buy new, what would you suggest as an entry level camera with good performance and controls? Pen Mini seems like obvious one. Something else on the Panny side?

6. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    The Panny GF3 w/ 14-42 or 14 lens is also a good choice. Amazon has them for just under $400 brand new.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't really know. If we're going back to occasionally available used models and the performance of the EPL1 is good enough, I'd say something like the EP2 on the Oly side or GF1 or G2 on the Pany side - all of those have pretty nice controls. I don't know the GF2 or GF3 very well, but I've certainly read that the controls are nothing to write home about, although I think they both have the signature Pany click-wheel... The EP2 is great, the EPL2 is one thumb-wheel away from great (IHMO). But I'd think someone new to the format would want pretty good AF and general operating speed and I think the GF3 has that more than anything else other than the current generation of EP3/EPL3/EPM1 or G3/GX1/GH2...

-Ray

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The E-PL1 was my first :43: as well. I agree that the user interface is it's most glaring weakness, but for me at least, it's a deficiency I've learned to live with (turning on the Super Control Panel helps considerably). Sure, I'd love to have another control dial or two, but I understand that there is a trade-off at the entry level. I picked up a used GF1 and prefer its interface, but I find that the E-PL1 gives me better results, so you'll probably see the GF1 in the "for sale" section soon.

I plan to upgrade to something like the E-P3 or E-M5 at some point (most likely not until they are abundant in the used market), but the E-PL1 is a very capable camera (particularly when compared to similarly priced P&S's) and I don't feel that its likely to turn off those who've stepped up from P&S because of it's amazing price point.

I've not used the GF3, but to me the GF3 is a less capable camera than even the E-PL1 due to its lack of hot-shoe and lack of an EVF option. To me the GF3/5 are really more like bridge cameras between P&S and "true" :43:

• Like Like x 1
  9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Honestly, what's finally started to bother me the most with the E-PL1 is its autofocus - it just never seems to focus on what I want it to, regardless of which focus point I select, including just using the center point (regardless of what lenses I've used), and I'm not a fan of focus by wire. As such, I now use it exclusively with legacy glass, for which the camera's lack of dials is less troublesome. For experienced users who intend on adapting their existing film lenses I highly recommend it as a body, but I wouldn't recommend it anymore to new users looking to get into m43 - I would say go with the E-PM1 with the newer kit lens.

10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I have both the E-PL1 and the GF3 and that statement assumes most people want a hot shoe and an EVF option - if they did then yes of course the GF3 is less capable but you would assume they would not buy it in the first place if those were priorities. However a lot of people are quite happy to use the lcd and built in flash (which is easy to bounce by the way as it can be held right back unlike the one on the E-PL1) and so the lack of these would not be an issue.
    Everybody's needs and what they take photos of are different after all.

I think on one hand the GF3 is ideal for people upgrading from a p&s to m43 - and wanting more control (as in control of aperture and shutter speed, ability to change lenses etc) . I find the GF3 a lot more user friendly than the E-PL1 - particularly the menus, the ease of adjusting aperture, exposure compensation etc, the smaller size of the camera and the touch to focus feature of the touch screen.

However, I have not used either camera in auto/ iauto mode but reviews on amazon (UK) suggest that in iauto the GF3 selects too slow a shutter speed in low light resulting in blurred photos and the E-PL1 certainly produces nice(r) looking jpegs straight from camera. (The GF3 jpegs are less noisy at higher iso's though).

So for someone wanting to upgrade from a p&s and only use the camera in auto, the Olympus may still be the better option. But for someone wanting to explore manual/a/s modes then the Panasonic may be a much more user friendly experience?

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'm not familiar with the flash on the GF3, but the flash on the E-PL1 can indeed be held back and bounced.

• Like Like x 1
  12. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Would largely agree with that - (have you reduced the size of the autofocus box by the way - that helps a lot although the autofocus speed (or lack of) is still an issue).

In the UK, the EPL1 body only is around £170 and the EPM1 body only is £230 - so the newer model makes a lot more sense given the fairly small price difference. Same thing with a kit lens: E-PL1 + 14-42mm mki lens = £225 vs Olympus E-PM1 + 14-42mm mkii lens £295. GF3 + 14-42 is £200 (after cashback) and with 14mm lens about £215 (after cashback). However, the price drops on the newer models are fairly recent whereas the E-PL1 was a much more compelling proposition say 6 months ago when the price gap meant that it was significantly cheaper than the EPM1/GF3.

13. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I watch people thumbing away on mobile phones, sending out text, and there's no way I want to learn that. Many compact camera menus also take a lot of button pressing. All kinds of people figure this stuff out. I think users that are wanting the benefits of the ILC's will learn the menus.

Granted, I can pick up a DSLR and intuitively figure out the main shooting functions. Couldn't do that with an EPL1. However, after one learns it, the EPL1 only takes one button press to enter aperture/shutter/EV selection. It has a mode dial. Flash and self-timer are dedicated buttons. It's relatively easy to change ISO.

The EPM1 is about as hard to learn as the EPL1, but it sure powers up fast and is fast to focus and shoot. If those ever drop down to $179/body, a lot of lenses will get sold.

14. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Oops - yes I stand corrected - the flash on both cameras is almost identical in the way it can be held back and angled upwards. You can tell that I have never actually used the flash on my E-PL1 (and have only used the GF3 flash a handful of times). :biggrin:

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't think we know yet with the E-M5. There were some shortages (not as severe) with other models earlier, like the E-P2 and E-P3. That didn't stop oversupply later. The problem is that demand today and demand 9 months from now are very different. Resale value always takes a huge hit with Olympus when the new models come out. The trick is to make sure you've already exhausted (or nearly exhausted) supplies of the old model ahead of time. Obviously with the E-PL1, and to a lesser degree the E-P1 and E-P2 they failed to achieve that.

DH

16. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    By the way, on amazon UK, the #1 csc seller is the G3, the E-PL1 + 14-42 is at #29 and #35 is the mk ii 14-42 lens for £280 - kind of crazy money to pay for the lens alone when for an extra £15 you can get the lens and an E-PM1 body attached to it! :smile: (Or if you just wanted the lens get it from ebay for less than half that).

Amazon.co.uk Bestsellers: The most popular items in Compact System Cameras

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The E-PL1 was my introduction to m43 and it is really very similar to a point in shoot in the way it handles. I believe it's probably an easy transition from P&S to the E-PL1 because of way the controls are done. It's a nice little camera depending on what your expectations are. Personally I'd grab a GF2 before I'd pick another E-PL1 up because it handles a lot better, has pretty fast AF, better screen and HD video but I'm partial to the Panasonic layout. That said, for as little as they are charging for the E-PL1 I can see why it's popular on Amazon.

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Is this possible with the E-PL1? I've looked through the manual and didn't see any mention of a way to do this. I know its a feature on the newer PENs, but I was always under the impression the feature wasn't available on the E-PL1.

19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  20. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    1) Magnify button to highlight the green box,
    2) Info button to start size change. Note the green "7X" in lower right corner is default size.
    3) Tap up/down buttons to change size. You can have 7X or 14X.

This changes the size of view you get (7X-14X) when you go into magnify mode, but many people say it also shrinks the focus box and improves focus speed. Mine seems to focus on whatever lies under the green box.

It also works on the EPM1, but first you have to program the REC button for magnify mode.

Edit: I see the post above me has the link.