1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Amazon.com Lightning Deal on Panasonic G5 $399.99

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by jziegler, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    This is selling out fast. Body only G5 for $399.99 on amazon.com lightning deal.

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=UTF8&node=761198&tag=mu43-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957">Amazon.com: Today's Deals in Camera, Photo &amp; Video</a>[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Nice deal for the G5 with the electronic shutter and nice big grip, but I see the GF3X deal is going faster.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara

4. casiodave

casiodave New to Mu-43

Apr 16, 2012
    G5

Could not resist.
    When the wife asks the snarky question "What did you buy yourself for Christmas?", I now have an answer.:redface:

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Two things hold me back - It looks too much like a mini DSLR and no IBIS. Other details are intriguing but not enough to convince me to buy one.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Jeez, you gotta wonder what's up with Panasonic... They've been discounting relatively new products sooooo heavily, even before the holidays and doubling down now. It seems like the G3, GF3, GX1, now the G5, not to mention the crazy discounts on the LX7. I don't know that much about their P&S line or if they're doing it there too.

The GH2 seemed to hold value pretty well until the GH3 was released, which is about as you'd expect. And the lenses hold up well (dammit - THOSE I'd love to see heavily discounted!). But almost everything else seems to drop like a rock within a few months of release.

I hope the camera division is doing OK. I'm not partial to their m43 bodies, but I'm glad they're there pushing Olympus to get better and vise versa, and I LOVE their LX series and I like their m43 lenses a lot too. It would be bad for all of us if they didn't stay a major player in the camera market...

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  7. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
  8. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    yup...

i overpaid...full sticker price for my g5...

$400 is so so only...they had it at $480 kit a few days ago...

9. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed, I hope Panasonic is okay and the camera division stays well. I do like their m4/3 bodies, at least my GX1s, and think a GH2/3 could be in my future. As you say, their more expensive [fast] lenses seem very good, and even if I was to change to Olympus bodies in the future I hope to keep these Pan lenses.

10. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    i recall reading somewhere global slowdown and every maker is affected...

at this rate...interesting to see what post x'mas looks like...

was going to pick another g5 up but having played with the gh3....i might go for that instead...

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The lenses do tend to hold their value very well, although the 20mm has taken a bit of a hit lately with he arrival of the new Olympus 17mm. I do like that both companies push the other to constantly improve and refine. I hope Panasonic can continue.

12. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I snagged one. Figured that I'd try it out (liked the G3 except for the grip and never really take the EVF off of my GX1.) If I don't like it, I'll be able to pass on the deal here for someone who missed it (if not, it'll go on Ebay for a profit.)

13. flippic

flippic Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Same here... I just ordered one. Only about 10 minutes left as I type this. There's nothing wrong with my G3 per se but I also have a GX1 and the G5 will be a bit better ergonomically with my larger micro four-thirds lenses. The G3 will be gifted to a relative.

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Couldn't resist, I went and got myself one! Too bad it wouldn't arrive until after Christmas. :frown:

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm with you, Ray... I just sold my 3 month old G5 for nearly $300 less than I paid for it and now here it is going for even less mere days after I sold mine in ebay.

I sincerely hope they don't do this to me on the GH3 too, and that it holds value like the GH2 did. But lesson learned for me (again)... never, ever buy a Panasonic camera new.

17. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Bummer, I recently paid $499 for mine on Amazon. :(.

On the other hand, I probably would have missed the lightning deal anyway. :)

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have a feeling they are concentrating on getting more bodies out there, so that more people will want their lenses, which is where the major profit is anyway. Kind of like how gaming consoles sell at a loss, and make up for it on the games.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I guess they are all gone :(
    Darn... I seen this too late

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If so, I think they're in trouble. Many console games are sold for every console sold, but only 3 lenses are sold for every 2 camera bodies. Considering that one of those lenses is usually the kit lens that comes with the camera, that leaves precious few units to make a significant profit on.