1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

COMPLETED Amazing Gitzo Monopod

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by oldracer, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Amazing!??! That sounds kind of dumb. Why "amazing?"

Well, I went to the Gitzo site to get a comparison between this older model and the current models. Here is what I found:

The shortest current model is the (carbon) GM5561T at 16.34" and 1.65# weight. B&H's price is $315. My monopod measures 16.1"

[​IMG]

The lightest current model is the (carbon) G2541 at 1.1# and 20.87" in length. B&H's price for this one is $219.90. My monopod weights 1.08#.

[​IMG]

So, shorter than Gitzo's current shortest and lighter than Gitzo's current lightest.

Fully extended it's 58 1/2" With a small ball head this puts my G1 at eye level for me. I'm 6' tall.

It is a Gitzo "3" series, which means the largest tube is 1 1/4"/32mm. Very strong. It makes a great walking stick, which is how I often use it.

I have been traveling with this monopod for 4-5 years at least. It's been all over the world. I couldn't have gotten shots like this one without it.

Dancers2.

Functionally it's perfect. No dents, very smooth extension on all leg segments. 1/4-20 screw at the top in excellent condition. Locking collars smooth, etc. Nothing to apologize for.

There are some chips in the paint. The grip is not original. It's a hand-width of paracord for comfort plus a section of grip tape for when it's wet and slippery.

The Gitzo brand sticker is missing, but the design of the lock rings is unmistakeable. Here is an image from an older B&H catalog I have; you can see the design is Gitzo.

[​IMG]

Why am I selling this "amazing" monood? Well, I just bought an expensive carbon travel tripod where one of the legs converts to a monopod. So I no longer need the Gitzo. I hope I never change my mind, though, because it will probably be impossible to find another one of these.

$110 plus shipping. Add $3 for Paypal's vig if you choose that route. Or mail me a money order or personal check. I don't like enriching eBay/PayPal unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.