1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AMAZING G85 deal!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Oct 31, 2018.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Wow, do not miss this once in a lifetime price on a G85 kit from ebay! :rofl:

upload_2018-10-31_13-42-15.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    hope that 216 sold does not mean at that price

3. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    Looks like a weird attempt at money laundering.

Money goes in, pretend there's a transaction (between 2 people of the same gang), money goes out. Ebay takes a fee (just like any cost involved with a fake store where you would launder money), voilà.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Regular

I've seen other ebay transactions where the seller seems to raise the price high to prevent people from buying it, and later puts the price back down. I've always thought it was to avoid any costs with cancelling an item's sale.

But it may also be for people like me that have items in my ebay watch list, where I'm not ready to buy it now, but I keep it on hand if some day I wanted it. If the sale is cancelled, I have to delete the item, and I may not add it back again, but if it is still listed, and it has gone back down in price, then I may buy it from that vendor instead of doing yet another search for the item.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I've seen some where that's a real possibility, but this is a seller that does a lot of Camera business. They usually have good prices, so it's probably just a funny mistake or - as Michael said above - a way to pause the listing.

No way they sold 216 at $8000 each! You can view the sales history and it looks like the price has fluctuated between $820 and $740 on the same listing.

6. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Regular

Plus there is always the possibility that the store owner just entered the wrong price (in this case, I would think the price should have been $799.99 -- B&H has it at $797.99, so that is a reasonable price). I would imagine when there is nobody to buy it at that value, the price will be reset.

7. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Nah, it's just a case of avoiding a restocking fee on ebay. If they sell out and have to put a new advert up they have to pay a fee. If they jack the price up to ridiculous level with one in stock they can restock and then drop the price when they are ready to sell it. I see it a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    oh ok!

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Dang, they don't even allow a Best Offer...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    Sometimes sellers do this because they are actually out of stock on an item. They dont want to cancel the listing. Too much work, maybe? I don't know. So, they raise the price to something stupid high and then lower it once stock becomes available again.

11. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    ...And if you are dumb enough to order one at this price, I'm sure they are happy to go source a unit and ship it to you :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

LOL. They'd just overnight them one from Adorama.

13. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    A few demo g85 kits at $707 with lens, please save me one though :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.