1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 26, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    ...that finds the design of the E-M10 mark II a tad ugly compared to the E-M10? Thus is not saying the mark II isn't a better camera but if you look at the two side by side the original E-M10 looks better (just aesthetically). Of course how a camera looks has no bearing on its ability to make a great image but the reworked control wheels on the left while undoubtedly more handy sure are ugly and out of scale with the overall design of the body which is lovely. They look like an afterthought. I would imagine they are more comfortable but from an aesthetic standpoint they just look all wrong. The E-M10 and E-M5 are a lot more integrated looking with the overall design IMHO. I suspect with such a small body the temptation is there to make small dials and buttons and from a usability perspective that can be a huge hassle but something about the E-M10 mark II's proportions looks very weird to me.

Does it look better in person? Are they so much better ergonomically (I assume they're better)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree about the aesthetics, though I can't speak to the ergonomics. But the camera that really fails my eye test is the E-M1. Looks like something Dr Frankenstein slapped together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I finally got my hands on a E-M10II and thought the same thing. While I really like the mechanical dials, which is what drew me to Olympus in the first place, relocating that third dial to the right side on the top of the E-M10II seems to be a bit too much. Having used my two E-M10's for about six months, my E-M5 for about 4 months and my Fuji X-10 for about two months the E-M10II just did not feel right. One of the sales men at the store indicated that this seems to be a common complaint among potential Olympus shooters who had used either the E-M10 or E-M5 and come into the store to look at the new model.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh yeah, I also find the E-M1 a bit jarring visually, it does have a certain everything but the kitchen sink quality.

I realize that this is not important to most folks but it has always mattered to me. It was one of the reasons (albeit a minor one) I didn't like the Sony a6000. It's a fine camera but uuuuuugly. Sometimes it's little things. For instance I find the E-M10 mark II mostly very attractive but an otherwise design gives in to a design decision that spoils it. I find the three control wheels on the top plate do that. It reminds me of when Fiat put American style bumpers on the 124 convertible.

I find that elegant design that matters to me. I understand why the design decision was made but I can't help but think there had to have been a way to achieve the same thing in a less pasted on manner. I think because from a visual perspective the original E-M10 was a knockout.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Because many of the improvements in the Mark II aren't that compelling for my needs, the aesthetics (and lower price is nice too) is making E-M10 my likely choice for a new m43 body.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Great, now I have to carry mine hidden under my coat or put it in a paper bag with a hole cut out for the lens.

;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Now you know what it's like to be a Pentax shooter in a world of Nikons and Canons.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 3