1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by drone, Dec 13, 2013.

1. drone

drone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Just curious: am I the only one in this forum satisfied with my gear?

I ended owning:

Panasonic G3
    Panasonic 14-45 f/3.5-5.6
    Minolta 50mm f/1.7
    Minolta 135mm f/3.5
    Nissin Di466 Flash

and I cannot find a situation where I feel I'm missing something.

The G3 + 14-45 (wich I'm using 90% of the times) is a pleasure to shoot with, wich makes me feel limited only by myself

For portraits & some reach, the two adapted Minoltas are still outstanding pieces of glass
    For interior shots (family), I have my 5-stop stablization device (Nissin Di466)
    For interior (museums, churches and so on) I have my MEGA OIS and high ISO capabilities of the G3 (and some old trick to keep camera steady learned in film era)

Am I really missing something?

Usually winter was G.A.S. season, but this time I think i'll pass

(ok, maybe a fast pancake prime like the 20 :smile: )?

Season's Greetings from Italy!

• Like Like x 7
  2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Maybe you are satisfied because you have never fully experienced the wonderful primes that the system has? If that is the case, it may be worthwhile to stay away from them and be satisfied with the kit you have.

3. drone

drone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Maybe the 20 I mentioned :smile:
    I had the Sigma 19 but ended selling it.
    The 14-45 seemed to me as sharp as the Sigma, more versatile and not that bigger.

4. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Nope, happy as a clamp with my set as well. We are perhaps not as vocal as those missing bits and pieces for their specific use... In my case a combination of primes and zooms offer 7.5 to 300 mm, and useable Iso 6400. Certainly enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    If you consider 135 as having reach you obviously don't do wildlife or sports photography. I often find I need a bit more than a 500mm.

6. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    I am satisfied with my GX-1/PL25 combo, but who wouldn't be :). I contemplate about moving up to an OM-D EM-5 but I mostly shoot my toddler indoors at low light and IBIS isn't going to help me with a moving subject.
    Haven't experimented with external flash yet, like the Nissin Di466 you mentioned, but I just hate the overpowering flash look though.

7. drone

drone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    You are obviously right.
    My maximum reach is needed only in some zoos

8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Lucky you, I have G.A.S. like crazy this winter. It gets so much worse when I don't have time to go out and shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Nope.. at least for 3 years or so I was pretty satisfied with what I had (Nikon FF stuff) then I decided I want to live here in Japan and all the temptations are here and when I got hooked with mirrorless, I went back to being a GAS addict. haha

10. drone

drone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Now I have to hide hour post before my relevant one could see it

11. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    I sold my Nikon stuff because I wanted a lighter and simpler alternative. I had about 8 lenses in my Nikon kit. Now, after a few weeks of owning my GX-7, I'm up to 7 lenses including the 75 1.8 that's supposed to be delivered today. I hope once I get that I'm satisfied, because this whole switching systems thing is wringing out my bank account! I do admit that it's so much fun collecting lenses. To me, collecting gear is almost as fun as using them. That's just me though, I'm probably a gearaholic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey, if it suits your needs and leaves you happy after shooting, why not?

The only thing I'd take any issue with is that for hardly any more money, you could find a Minolta Rokkor MD 135mm 2.8, which is better lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Not really much better, and noticeably heavier on a M4/3 body than the 135mm f3.5.

I DO think that the OP could certainly use the fast prime in the 17-25mm range.

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I fully agree that winter is yucky, Yakky :biggrin:. Every year I get into the photographic doldrums - I'm just not an inclement weather photographer.

This year, though, I've started working with my post processing software in an effort to actually learn it (as opposed to the "auto fix" button); I have several applications installed and am concentrating on Elements 12. (I have PS3 and Lightroom 4 and Viewer 3 and NIK and...and...and... but decided that Elements 12 was a reasonable place to star)t.

G.A.S. is at a minimum this year (it helps that my wallet is flat and the Princess of the Exchequer isn't going to smile lightly at any credit card purchases :biggrin:).

If the Sigma 60mm goes on sale at $200 U.S. I'll probably pony up but otherwise I'm content with what I have on hand. (I've practically welded the 20mm to my E-M5 over the last few months and have really enjoyed using "1 body/1lens").

I think I could be polled as "satisfied with my kit".

Today. Can't guarantee tomorrow :wink:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Famous last words - I picked up a mint used Sigma 60mm on ebay for $166 last month.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I go through phases - buy a bunch, then only occasionally add something, then just shoot with the stuff for a good long while. I'm currently in one of the 'buy a bunch' phases, in part because my E-M5, 12-35, 100-300, O45 were stolen (hence E-M1+12-40 and soon 50-200), in part because the size of the Canon kit means I've used it 4 times in the past 2 years, so it's getting traded in for an A7r (just ordered!)

17. jarl

jarl Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Uhm... what can I say... :)
    I have the same Minolta lenses and I'm really happy with them, but the oly kit lens just doesn't make the cut. And after testing other Minolta primes I'm just addicted to glass :)
    To your lenses I would probably add a 24 (still looking for one) or perhaps a sharp 28, hopefully an f2. And at the other end a longer lens is always nice to have (I have a 200f4... very nice lens for the money). The 45f2 is different enough from the 50f1.7 to see some use, and I also use the 35-70f3.5 a lot. I think if I were to settle down I would replace my 35-70f3.5 fof the macro version, get a faster 24 or 28, and probably get a 300 or 400 fixed lens. But why would I settle with old lenses prices? :)

Yesterday I got a 35mm f3.5 Super Takumar for $10. I'm waiting for the adapter...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Bloomin'eck NO.
    I too am completely satisfied with my gear.
    An e-P5 would improve my lot but I don't have any ... urge to buy anything right now.
    I have old sensors, new sensors, great colours, great retro bodies, functional bodies, tiny bodies, a great wide zoom, brilliant primes, a really long thing, tiny things for the pocket, great video, great high-ISO, really cheap stuff to take to lossable places, stuff to leave in the car, stuff to convert & modify, stuff to give as presents, really fast focusers, old manual focus stuff, fast FPS, special effects, basic RAWs, auto-everything, manual-everything, convenient flashes, 'proper' flashes, Russian stuff, Japanese stuff, black stuff, silver stuff, brass stuff, weathersealed stuff, light stuff, solid stuff. Stuff coming out of my ears.
    Have I left a stone unturned?

Yuletidings!

• Like Like x 1
  19. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Nope. Super happy with my gear now: GX7,w/ 20/1.7 and 45/1.8. I might swap the 20 for the Leica 15 when it's released but that will depend on reviews.

I started with MFT as a second system with a GX1. I never liked the lack of two dials or the external EVF that increased the effective size of the camera quite a bit. The integrated EVF and second dial plus the Wifi, IBIS and other features are just gravy. I want my MFT system to be simple and I really like the set-up I have. I've gotten way too complicated with my Canon gear so MFT is a return to simplicity for me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    So, if I read this right, you're saying you're satisfied with only one or two of everything? Well, I would guess so! Haha.